Chapter 1

My stomach tensed up as I passed the sign on the side of the road that read "Welcome to Brooke Haven."
"Looks like were here!" My mom smiled, pointing to the sign. I tried to take a gulp of fresh air which was hard to do in a stuffy car with broken down air conditioning and the smell of spf 60 sunscreen.
"Do you mind if I roll down the windows?" I tap my feet nervously on the ground as we reach closer and closer to Brooke Haven.
"Of corse, just roll them back down when we get there."

As we arrive in the drop off area men in t-shirts that print "Brooke Haven Camp" in green ink show up to help carry our bags to the cabins. As I follow them clenching my pillow tight to my chest my parents follow behind.

"Looks like you're going to be in Cabin C!" One of the men in the t-shirts pointed to a cabin made of wood with a few windows and a couple of steps to get to the door. It looked ok I guess.

"Isn't it nice, Danni?" My dad slightly pushed me playfully with his elbow. I think he was trying to make me feel more comfortable here. I was staying here for what seemed like a long 2 months. I know we can always send mail, but still. A whole two months away from my parents? I don't know if I can handle that.

"In Cabin A we have our 5-7 year olds. In Cabin B we have our 8-12 year olds. And in your cabin, Cabin C, we have our 13-17 year olds. Your cabin is the closest to our Aggies. Our Aggies are the camp leaders that are 18-21 years old. Next to their cabin are the Titans. The Titans are the camp leaders that are ages 22 and up." The man said, pointing to each cabin. Every cabin looked about the same size.

"Will the girls have camp leaders in their cabins at all times?" My mom asked, starting to get nervous.
"Yes, we are very safe about watching over our kids. Each cabin will have two leaders that are ages 22 and up. Cabin C usually gets the youngest leaders because the girls are old enough to take care of themselves. Cabin A will usually gets the oldest leaders because the little ones need more super vision. The leaders will be with their kids at all times except breakfast, lunch, dinner, the bathroom, and outdoor activities. Basically whenever any kids are in the cabin, the cabin leaders will be in there with them." He said.

Everything made sense and sounded pretty protective. But in a good way. I was starting to feel more welcome.

As we walked in to the cabin it smelled a lot like pine needles. It reminded me of Christmas.

"How old are the girls in each side of the cabin?"
"On Side A are ages 13 and 14 and Side B, where Dani will be sleeping, are ages 15-17." I was age 15.
"Ok, make yourself at home! Hope you enjoy your stay!" The man walked out of the cabin. Seconds later, a girl with blonde wavy hair and freckles appeared. She looked like she was in her early 20's.
"Hey! My name is Chloe and I'll be Cabin C, Side B's cabin leader! What's your name?" She asked.
"My name is Danni. Nice to meet you." I shook her hand.
"Nice to meet you Danni! So, you can pick any bed that isn't taken. Well, looks like you're the first camper here so pick any bed you like." She guided me over to a room with 2 sets of bunk beds and 4 beds set next to each other. I decided to pick the bottom bunk.

"Well honey, I guess this is it."
"Ok. Bye mom. I love you and I'll miss you! Send me tons of letters!" I go in for a hug and kiss. I say goodbye to my mom and dad then they leave. That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

"Heyyy what's poppin?" Another girl came in the door from the other side of the cabin. She looked about the same age as Chloe but had dark brown hair that went to her shoulders and no freckles.
"Hey! Our first camper is here! She's stayin on Side B with me!" Chloe introduced me.
"Hi, my name is Danni. Nice to meet you."
"Hey Danni! Glad you came! My name is Amber. I'm mostly Side A's cabin leader but I can still be yours at times." She said with a smile on her face.