Untitled Part 2

"I do."

The meek voice materialized behind them with no warning. A small boy, no older than nine stood just inside the corn stalks staring at the girls.

"Hi, there. We've been in here almost two hours. Can you help us get out?" Anna asked the boy, as Sydney shot her an angry gaze.

"Sure. My daddy doesn't like when I cheat. But, I like helping," the boy chirped.

"You're a sweet little boy. Do kids get lost in here a lot?"

"Yes. Most people get lost in our maze."

"Our maze? Is that why you know your way out so well?"

"Yeah, my daddy built it. I helped. I like helping." Looking more enthusiastic, the boy took Anna by the hand and started on his way.

"Um, Anna," unmoving, Sydney called out. "Can I have a word with you?"

"What's up, Sydney?"

"That little boy just said his daddy built this maze. I thought this was Old Man Johnny's farm. He doesn't have any kids."

"So what? Maybe the kid and his dad helped out. What's it matter anyway? He knows the way out."

"He gives me the creeps, Anna. Didn't you notice how he came out of nowhere?"

"Did you just watch Children of the Corn or something? You're trippin'," Anna smirked.

"Whatever. I just want out of here."

Anna walked back to the boy and asked him to lead the way. He continued on silently, walking slowly and methodically. Without hesitation he made turn after turn down long stretches of barely visible pathways. The zigzagging seemed to take the girls further and further from the plumes of smoke still faintly visible in the darkening sky.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Anna asked the boy. He looked over his shoulder with a demented smile.

"Of course I do. We only have a little further to go. Daddy will be so glad to see you."

Sydney noticed the drops of sweat forming on Anna's forehead and reached for her phone again. This time Charlie answered. She turned around and whispered into the phone.

"Charlie, where have you been? We're lost and need you to help us finish this maze. We're following this kid and we're not even close to being out. He's freaking me out."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. What maze are you at?"

"What do you mean, Charlie? Old Man Johnn's maze. What else would I be talking about?" Sydney asked, shooting a confused look over to Anna.

"Old Man Johnny has been in the hospital for a while now. He wasn't able to do a corn maze this year."

Sydney quickly hung up her phone and turned around, but the boy was gone. Sydney turned and ran through the corn back where they came from, Anna at her heels.

They ran until the cramps in their sides forced them to stop. Then they heard the boy's voice again and saw his shadow just inside the corn like before.

"You can run girls, I won't stop you. But I know the way out, you're the one who's lost. Besides, Daddy doesn't like when I cheat. He likes when you find him on your own, it's more exciting that way."