The Masked Ball

"Elanor always had a penchant for extravagant parties," I thought to myself as I checked my pocket watch for the umpteenth time. I was bored and trying to look the opposite.

It wasn't like I disliked parties. The music and colors were great stimulation and heightened my spirits...if they weren't drained before. Fortunately enough I had enough wine but unfortunately not enough for such a trivial interaction.

I let my eyes roam the hostess' newest interest.

It was a grand room with a dome that looked as if it touched the night sky and beaconed the moonlight into the great hall. The mahogany floors were shined so that even the rose-scented candlelight that hung in the spiraling ornate chandeliers shone with the glamor of a jewel. The whole place was painted red and gold color scheme with elaborately embroidered silk drapes covering the walls akin to a still image of waves caressing the shore. The string quartet and singer crafted an elegantly delightful piece that flowed like a rhythmic stream, soft enough to tug at the heart but quiet enough to go unnoticed.

The people were, however, far less interesting. In the far corner, we had the Powders. They were chic with an appetite for attention and a budget to fit. Today they were wearing a variety of gowns with satin ribbons spiraling out around their arms and legs. Their hair was in an impressive back bun fastened with a rose clip. Oh and powder. We didn't have to worry about the darkness if the lights went out.

They giggled and squealed as they felt each other's choices.

I rolled my eyes at my choice of being here.

Of course, then there were the heirs. Only daughters of business and remnants of old royalty. Honestly, I pity them; they are usually extremely reserved and always surrounded by at least two bodyguards. People think they are quiet by practice but I'm pretty sure that they are quiet by nature; isolate people for a long time and they will become mute - that's why I make an effort to go to parties anyway. Then there was the usual scattering of prowlers looking for a quick evening and a long night. I do not care for them, but their choice of attire is always fascinating. I remember on Halloween, one wore a pumpkin; I don't know who's into that but she wasn't there when the clock struck twelve. There weren't that many exotic choices today as most deem 'the princess' a fantasy enough.

Then of course there were the men. We are no different than any other; it doesn't matter if we are rich or poor, highly esteemed or unknown - if women are somewhere, men will be there as well.

The lights started to dim.

I sighed to myself and fastened my mask to my face; seriously, why does Elanor insist on dancing? Quiet rumination worked just fine for me.

The music started off with a single violin, gently crescendoing and meeting with twinkling piano and a bass that encased you in a trance. The guests had started to pair up and slowly circled each other and soon the room was a blur of black suits and dark dresses.

"Let's get this over with-" I stopped and lifted my head.

Something was sparkling in the middle of the ballroom. My legs were moving on their own. I pushed through the crowd around me and the jewel became clearer. She had creamy chocolate-colored skin that glimmered like a still lake at midnight. Her dark hair adorned her head and caressed her waist while her gentle hands were intertwined as she stared off into the distance. I was very close now. She suddenly turned and looked at me.

Most of her face was hidden under a ruby-studded mask.

I was at arm's distance when I finally snapped back.

"May I have the honor of a dance?" I asked bowing my head and extending my arm with my hand open.

She smiled and gracefully accepted. We moved closer and let our feet follow the rhythm. [2305]