✰✦✰ Chapter 7 ✰✦✰

✰✦✰ Chapter 7 ✰✦✰
" Deal Or Not? "

"WE HAVE TO pick three other people to come along with us," Sarinne ran her hands through her hair like this was the most vexing decision she'd ever had to make. "How the hell are we going to do that?"

"I already have someone in mind," I admitted. I'd been thinking about it all night and I still knew how mental asking someone to risk their life for me was. Especially someone as good as a stranger to me. But hell, maybe they'd agree, you know, if they ended up liking me.

"Other than me?" Jacks's voice carried through our home as he entered the kitchen, grinning. Dimples poked out from his cheeks, far too excited for our circumstances.

When the Shielder of Darkness and his soldiers had come here only three hours ago and Jacks claimed he had hidden in our cellar and eavesdropped from there. Though I was fairly sure they would've checked every inch of this house, even without us knowing. However, I didn't say anything. Kept my lips sealed instead.

"The only reason you're tagging along," I reminded him with a sharp glare, "is because you know the most about ancient history and all that, okay? So don't get it in your head that we've taken a liking to you."

"Oh, I would never," Jacks taunted, glancing over at my best friend. "But I would've hoped you'd have stuck up for me, Red."

"In your goddamn nightmares, Zacrus."

"Trust me, you've only ever appeared in my dreams."

I rolled my eyes and Sarinne stared at Jacks like she might eat his soul if he didn't tone it down, and I wasn't about to stop her.

"So you have someone in mind?" Sarinne asked again as she handed me a glass of water.

I nodded, taking my seat at the head of the short table. "Yeah, I just still have to ask her."

"Her?" Sarinne egged me on as she drank from her own glass. "Care to elaborate or are you keeping this from me too?"

I chewed on my lip. "Luna Dubrovno."

Sarinne choked on her water and it splattered all across the wooden table. She wiped her mouth but didn't seem the slightest bit embarrassed. "What? The mermaid with the boyfriend drama?"

"That's her," I sighed. "But she's useful, Rinne. She's so fast underwater—it's incredible. She could be a lot of help to us," Sarinne eyed me warily. "Plus," I added, "she's such a sweetheart. I'd feel bad to leave her here."

"Why?" asked Sarinne with a frown. "Isn't she ridiculously cheerful?"

I shrugged. "She comes off as it but I feel like there might be more behind it. Besides, as you said, her boyfriend drama really has an effect on her."

"What, so we're letting her join us because she'll dwell too much on her boyfriend issues if she stays?"

I tried to detect the seriousness in Rinne's tone but there wasn't a single trail of it there, meaning she was being her usual self when annoyed: sarcastic. Still, I had my reasons for wanting Luna on this mission with us. So I shifted and said, "There's more to it than that but yes. She's so lovely, Sarinne."

"Is she the type to fight?" Jacks queried.

I played with the hem of my shirt. "Dunno."

"You don't know?"

"That's what I just said, yes."

He ran a hand along his face. "Do you understand how detrimental our loss of this quest would be if it happened?"