Last Act Loop

She should have been here by now, my whispers come out in small puffs that seem to hang in the darkening evening. My eyes lifted as the town clock whirled and boomed out 3, 4, 7 beats. The branches of the trees seemed to shiver along with me, and I tightened my jaw to keep my teeth from chattering. Shifting from one foot to another I wrapped my coat tighter around myself.

Smiling at a passing stranger, they seemed to look straight through me. I shook my head, people just got ruder and ruder everyday it seemed. It didn't help the anxiety I constantly feel around people and I shifted into the shadows more. I guess everyone is just wrapped up in themselves these days, the cold and dreary nights have them hurrying home to their families and a hot supper.

A shiver snaked up my spine and it seemed to bite right down to my bones. These days I just can't seem to get warm.

A whisper seemed to come from the trees.........Here she goes again...............

My eyes searched the streets, a cold fog has settled around our small town making it harder for me to find her. My eyes flickering over faces searching for the red beanie she wore constantly in the winter; the one her nana knitted for her before she passed away.

I lifted my eyes, studying the sky, a cloud passing slowly across the moon.

A gust of wind lifted strands of my hair and leaves whirled around my feet.

"Joey!!"

I looked up and suddenly she was right in front of me.

"Sorry, she laughed, her dark eyes dancing. I'm here now, I lost track of time. How are you? Oh Joey, you look so cold, I'm sorry!" She pulled me into a side hug as we walked.

The clock whirled out a half beat.

"Maggie, I think we're gonna be late! We better start walking faster if we're gonna make it!" I hated being late for anything, feeling eyes on me walking into a full room of people is my own personal nightmare, one that I didn't want to relive tonight.

We walked faster, Maggie laughing and chattering, smiling at people as she passed. She was always the sunny one, the one that lit up every place she goes.

I just listened as she chattered, just glad to be in her company, my pace trying to keep with hers.

A whisper close to my ear, I looked over my shoulder but didn't see anything. Maggie, seemingly oblivious, kept talking and laughing.

There's that shiver down my spine again, I hunched down into my coat some more. The darkness has engulfed everything by now, the street lights shining weakly every ten steps or so. I quickened my steps.

Finally, we saw the theater up ahead, the mellow light spilling into the night, cutting through the darkness.

Rifling through our coats we found our tickets, mine creased and bent from anxiously folding and unfolding it.

I handed mine over, the ticket taker frowning briefly before handing my stub back. I followed Maggie's red beanie as we walked down to the middle row where we always sat for our monthly theater night out.

We seemed to be just in time because just as I took my seat the lights dimmed.

A faint whisper again, the hairs on my arms raising. Soft and barely there I can't make out the words.

Maggie glanced over, whispered asking me if I was still cold. I smiled wanly and shook my head no. A lie but whatever. She squeezed my hand and simply smiled back.