Chapter One: A Fresh Start

"...who said witches are evil and ugly?" I confidently ask as I press a button on a remote controller, switching to the next slide of the presentation. "Really, who created this stereotype of an unattractive old woman who eats children and has a wart on her nose?"

I turn to my audience - I'm giving a speech to my history class. My classmates' faces are shadowed with dullness; a few boys are messing in the back, while most are whether on their phones or sleeping. The teacher doesn't seem to care, he's just standing to my left, staring at me with an empty look, leaning against the door frame. 

I retaliate, straighten up, and look back at the screen. "My guess? Men. Or more specifically, the church." I rest my hand on my hip and relax my waist into a slightly curved position. "I'm so original, right?" I smile and look at a few faces judging me while I clear my throat. "Ahem... " I look back at the screen and compose myself. "Now, the Christian ones, please don't get offended, but I think we can both agree that your organization has been intolerant of those who stood out for ages. It's understandable since we're talking about those dark times, but it doesn't mean it's okay." I inhale and smile to myself, feeling a boost of confidence. Next slide. "We all know about the killing of Galileo Galileo, of scientists who dared to share their new inventions, and, of course, women. Not all of the female victims even practiced witchcraft, though what can I say, in the church's eyes, a confident, smart, educated woman who didn't see herself only as a doll to be fucked and impregnated, counted as a witch." Next slide. "Why did men hate to see empowered women? Easy answer. They're the dominant sex that has to be in power," I roll my eyes. "They're insecure. It's hard for a man to realize, that a woman is just as smart as him, if not even smarter. I mean, biologically, men are physically stronger and have a higher intellect, even though on the latest studies females have more grey matter in their brains, but it's a fact that women and men are meant to be equals. Hell, I could even argue that women should be the ones in charg..."

"That's enough, Elle," my teacher suddenly says. I slightly turn around. I hadn't noticed that now some of the audience was actually listening to me, while the teacher had moved closer to the screen, holding up his arm, waiting for me to hand over the controller.

"What?" I blink and look at him with doe eyes, confused.

"The topic you chose is inappropriate. Now please give me the controller," he says with a voice so strict that I don't even argue. I softly put the remote into his palm and walk to my desk... with a confident grin.

***

That wasn't the first time a teacher stopped my presentation, but... it still feels nice to know that you can speak so effectively that the traditional school views teachers can't bear to listen to it. 'Eleanora Clairmont, the rebellious oddball' is how I like it. More about me? Well, I have medium-length straight dark hair, brown foxy eyes that have a golden glow in the sun, and a striking jawline with cheekbones to match - I got them from my mother, whom I'm currently waiting to pick me up from school.

I'm standing near a bus stop, watching other kids say goodbye to their friends. A bit emo of me, but it's just how it was. Even though I enjoyed expressing my views, it had a cost - I didn't really get along with others. I mean, sure, I talked to some people at school, some girls were actually really nice to me, but at the end of the day I didn't have anyone to text how my day went, or even a little "Hi, wyd?". I'm not entirely lonely, though. I get along well with my mom, Sarah (we look extremely similar), who's in fact late to pick me up. Most people had already left. I check my phone. She's 15 minutes late. Where the hell is she?

*** 

I tried calling her a couple of times, but after another 10 minutes I gave up and left a text "I'm walking home".

I live 3 miles from my school, so it took a while, but I finally made it to my house - I lived in a suburban place with a beautiful yard and trees surrounding it. There was a park nearby with a little river that I grew up next to. I remember going there with my dad and collecting rocks, polished by the running water. Good times. I was really happy back then - 2 years ago. Then everything started changing. My dad died, my grandma died, my only best friend moved to New York. All people I loved left me.

I hated to admit it, but I was lonely.

I entered the house through the front door and immediately felt safe, embraced by a warm bright orange hallway with dark oak wooden floor. I walked to the kitchen and checked the time - my mom's job finished 2 hours ago. Still no call. I started worrying and was about to call her job when I heard the creaking door hinges opening. I turned around.

"They fired me," it was my mom, tired, but with a smile, though her eyes were red, she probably had been crying.

I immediately ran to hug her. I held her tight in my arms as she sobbed quietly to my shoulder.

"We'll have to move, I can't afford this house, I'm really sorry..."

"It's okay." I patted her back. "It's okay..."

And it really was okay. It was going to be a new beginning.

A fresh start.