Science fiction. The Watchers

There is severe turbulence and everything is being jolted around, like prawns in the non-stick frying pan. The view outside is that of black smut like thing spreading everywhere, that is getting denser; so dense that it has obscured the view of everything that lies beyond this veil of black smut. And maybe it is the same for those who lie on the other end of this wall of black smut that is growing uncontrollably in all directions- If at all there is anybody alive on the other end of this black smoke.

Nobody knows about its origin or about its nature, because whatever it covers or appears to come in contact with, turns into black smut. The transformation is so instant that it cannot be detected.

And we are scared! Here is the reason of our main worry.

Our civilisation has perfected the art of developing one of the strongest materials that exists in the universe. Titanium alloy reinforced with diamond-like bonding. And we use this material to develop Guardian Posts ( Also known as Watchers )

We need these self balancing posts mounted with cameras, infra red beams and laser beams. These beams spread in all directions of the space surrounding our planet, thus acting as watchmen for our colony. These posts can levitate in space for millions of years. And they warn us against any imminent threat.

Yesterday this black smoke came into contact with few of our Watchers. And in nano seconds the Guardian Posts vanished and there was nothing left of them, they too had turned into this black smut. And the Watchers designed to safeguard us, now were a part of the black smoke meant to destroy us- The black smoke had turned them diabolical. And in absence of Watchers we are highly vulnerable to attacks from other civilisations.

Or is it that we are already under attack and this is a new kind of warfare that our technology is unable to deal with? We do not know yet.

But whatever it is, we either need to escape from it or understand it. And without the Watchers we cannot achieve this. So we are working on new and improved versions of Watchers which would serve the purpose of highly reflexive and dependable Watchers, and also help us understand the composition of this mysterious smoke that has launched an attack on us, and it appears to be chasing us from every direction.

Our chief of warfare tactics and his team of engineers have arrived at the main research and development facility and they propose to trap some of this mysterious smoke. But so far they are clueless about how to collect a sample of this strange smoke and then test it. Because based on our data anything that comes in contact with this smoke turns into black smut. And it does not matter which material it is, so far it has consumed everything that it has come in contact with. And it is a major problem that we are dealing with right now.

Everyone is busy understanding the nature of this substance and decode its composition in order to be able to contain its spread.

Finally someone from the chief's team proposes a brave idea, but how well it will work in this situation can only be understood once it has been implemented, and we are able to test it in the real ecosystem i.e. within this black and dense smoke. In the meantime while everyone is busy discussing ideas and thinking about a solution that will help us free ourselves from this rapidly growing world black smoke that incinerates anything that it comes in contact with. And before it consumes us and our space crafts , we need to find a solution.

Now it has been more than a week and the chief and his team are still discussing the right solution, and with every moment of inaction we are allowing this world of dense smoke to consume us and our species forever.

It was just another day and the black smoke was not any farther than 50 miles from us, and based on its growth so far, our experts believe it will come in contact with our mother spaceship in another 4 hours. With this news the chief's team wants to work on some risky and brave solutions, even if that means not understanding the composition of this dark smoke, and only finding a means to escape this world, and make sure that the population is safe and survives.