Omen

OMEN

OMEN

She was ten years old when her heart was broken for the first time. It was at the hands of a man with a unicorn on his lapel, telling her that her brother was found dead in his barracks. Suicide, he claimed. The death of Nico Lutz marked the end of Sylvia's childhood and the beginning of her time as the new face of the Lutz line. A prized pawn in the family's ever-shrinking circle, a pretty thing to be thrown at the first eligible bachelor with enough coin to make their surname mean something again. It's not until Sylvia is fifteen years old and buckling under the weight of expectations that she starts to feel human again. Ironically enough, it was the hands of a man that put her heart back in place. He was charming, kind, warm. All the things a girl like her needed — for a while, that is. He was the second man to break her heart. But he was the first to break her.

Her fall from grace was swift. Her parents would sooner claim to have no children than call her their own. From a girl to a pawn to an unloved rat, Sylvia had worn many titles in her short life. She never expected to add 'soldier' to the list. But when scrapping with a Garrison soldier that got a bit too friendly leaves her faced with enlistment or jail, who is she to refuse? The way she sees it, she can suffer through three quick years of military training and then fuck off in Wall Maria, tucked carefully away from ghosts of the past, donning the Garrison roses and day-drinking til she croaks. For a while, things go precisely as planned. Sylvia lays low well enough in training, graduates at a decent-but-forgettable rank, and gets dropped in Shiganshina just as desired. What she never anticipated, however, is that she'd find what was stolen from her six years ago.

And she certainly didn't expect to lose it again four years later when Wall Maria fell. Whatever might have been left of Sylvia Lutz then existed no longer. From the rubble and ruin of Shiganshina rose a new woman, one fueled by rage and a thirst for vengeance. It's not enough to loiter inside the Walls anymore, oh no — Sylvia won't rest until every last Titan is crushed underfoot, choking on their big ugly smiles and regretting the day they ever waged war on humanity. And the only way to do that is to trade her roses for wings. The Scouts are never in a position to deny fresh meat, and the transfer is almost seamless.

Almost.

Because, for some fucking reason, the newly-promoted Captain Levi has decided that whatever it is he found in her file when searching for squad members is enough to land her on his personal shit list. The man seems bound and determined to figure out her deepest darkest secrets, to sniff out any indicator that she's a traitor or threat. He can try all he likes, as far as Sylvia's concerned. She vowed long ago to never let a man break her again.