Chapter 1

Story credit: hellopanda23 (fanfiction.net) circa. 2008

SAKURA'S POV

"Sakura, could you help me with this real fast?" my boss requested.

"Coming!" I answered as I picked up a heavy box of clothes.

"Aw, thanks for the help. It's getting harder for me to get around now that I am this big" she chuckled, indicating her 5-month belly.

"Don't worry, I don't mind at all. I'm just glad to help, Mrs. Kato."

"Thank you, Sakura. You're such a dear. I'm sorry for making you do more than our other employees" my boss apologized.

"That's okay. I don't even help out enough around here, just two hours a day. So I don't mind at all," I assured.

"Well, could you go ahead and change the mannequins to our spring collection? Winter is basically over."

"Yeah, sure" I smiled.

My name is Sakura Haruno. I am 19 and attend a private university, and study pre-med. Unlike everyone else there, my parents weren't rich and couldn't afford things like the average teenager at that school with their expensive cars and international brand of clothes. In fact, my only relative is my mother, but she is currently in an institution. After my father died, she became mentally ill and these days doesn't talk very much. But I visit her every day for an hour when they permit me and I work hard to forget what kind of life I have. I work for one of my mother's close friend's stores and help out when they need me because they took me in. After school, I work for two hours and then head out to the hospital to help out Dr. Kato, the husband of the pregnant lady who owns the store. Mr. Kato also teaches me what I need to learn to for medical school.

As I was changing the clothes on the mannequins, the last person I would have liked to see walked into the store. Ino Yamanaka.

"Hello, welcome to—" I started to greet because that was part of the job but was interrupted.

"Save it. I'm about to head in for a photoshoot this weekend. Find me a stunning skirt. I want it creamy white, not snow white, but creamy white. Got that!" Ino said without even looking at me as she batted her eyelashes. Of course, no matter how much I hated her, her wish was my command.

Ino had to be the richest person in our school. She made sure that everyone knew about that. Her attitude was what made me hate her. She had always despised me and spared no expense to torture me or make fun of me. Ino also knew that I was on a scholarship from the school and found out that I received most of my clothes from the store. She was extremely jealous that I had access to such clothes and always wanted to be on top. She may not look like it, but she also has a brain inside that fake blonde hair that she dyed.

I pulled up a new skirt from the spring collection. It was plain white with a gold chain circling around it. "Here, I hope you—" But almost immediately, Ino flung the skirt at my face.

"This is unacceptable. I specifically said 'creamy white,' not 'dirty white!'"

"I'm sorry—" Again, she interrupted me and held her hand up.

"Fine, at least find me a decent spring scarf for my outfit" she sighed.

After another thirty minutes, she finally decided to get a very revealing black dress that was way too mature for her. But, of course, who was I to deny a customer's purchase? "That took forever. I expect better service next time, got that" Ino beamed at me.

I sighed and watched her walk out of the store. I was glad that no one was here to see that mess. I saw her bump into a young man wearing a hat and sunglasses inside and tell him to watch it. Water spilled on him.