1. Lena

People wouldn't expect this, but Lena sometimes chose to be alone. On her days off, which were few and far between, she liked to shop for ingredients to stock her fridge. She hated eating out. She much preferred to go home at the end of a late-night shoot to make a cold sandwich, anything but to succumb to the convenience of a greasy burger and limp chips. When she first moved out from her parents' house, she chose an apartment that cost her hundreds of dollars more than she could afford in rent—just so she could have a kitchen that was the right size for her.

Lena's usual spot was the corner grocer in her neighbourhood. She liked going there early in the mornings because it was frequented by old couples who would mind their own business. She could make a quick stop, and then head straight to the dental appointment that she had scheduled later that morning. But by the fifth time the guy standing next to her picked up a misshapen tomato, she worried that it may not be a quick stop after all.

"Do you shop here often?" he asked her.

Lena removed the earpiece from her right ear. She didn't stop the soundtrack that she was listening to, and the music continued to pulsate faintly as she replied. "Not really."

"I see. You must really like vegetables," he continued.

Lena puffed out her cheeks and then exhaled as quietly as she could. "What makes you say that?"

"Judging by the amount that you have in your trolley, of course."

"Why wouldn't you assume that I'm cooking for more than one person?" Lena said.

"Oh," he said, as if the thought had just occurred to him. "Are you shopping for your husband and children?"

Before she could reply, she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She checked the screen and said, "It's work."

"Really? Where do you work?"

"I'm sorry, I have to take this," Lena said, excusing herself so she could finally answer the call. "The cafe had better be on fire, Marcus."

"I am literally at my wit's end. I've dealt with them my entire life, and yet I still don't know how to speak 'female'," came the voice on the other end of the line.

"Pass the phone to Whitney. I'll talk to her," Lena said.

"I don't know if she will take it."

"I don't understand what that means. You're her manager. Make her."

"I mean, she's crying," he said. There was a short pause. "Where are you?"

"You're not serious? I've told you how much I wanted today off."

"I'll buy you a sandwich," came the answer.

Lena sighed. "Let me call my dentist."

Having rescheduled, she walked into work 30 minutes later. She was surprised to see the girl she hired the day before operating the POS system. Marcus was behind the counter looking comically oversized in an extra-small apron.

"Where's Whitney?" Lena asked after making it past the small queue of people waiting to order. Marcus pointed grumpily towards the locker area. It was dark, and Lena had to push her sunglasses past her forehead to see a quivering girl in the corner.

"I had to leave an important appointment to come in," Lena said to her. "I would suggest you tell me the problem sooner rather than later."

"Marcus won't let me take Friday off. Even when that means I won't be able to take my boyfriend to the airport," the girl sniffled.

"This Friday?" Lena crossed her arms. "As in tomorrow? For the roster that we gave you a month in advance?"

"It's so unfair. Last week, when Georgie wanted the day off, Marcus let her go."

"Yes, because I told him to," Lena said.

"You what?" Whitney's eyes widened. "So, will you let me go too?"

"I will." Lena paused. "Once you tell me why Georgie couldn't work last week."

Whitney stopped sniffling for long enough to consider her answer. "She never told me. I don't know—was it cramps?"

"Actually, she had to get her appendix removed. So unless you're getting surgery on the way to the airport, I think Marcus is right to ask you to turn up for your shift." Lena noticed mucus dribble past the top of the girl's lip, so she grabbed a tissue for her. Then she tossed the binder with the current staff contact list into Whitney's lap. "You know that if you found any one of the casuals to cover your shift you could have avoided all this in the first place?"

"Isn't it your job to do that?" Whitney questioned.

Lena didn't reply. "Refresh your makeup. If I don't see you back on shift in half an hour, exit through the back. And you would do well to remember that while I want nothing more than for my staff to be happy, no one here owes you anything." Lena walked out with her hand on her right jaw, wincing at the sudden sharp pain in her molar.

Whitney stayed for the morning rush. By the end of it, however, Marcus came to sit at the two-top table where Lena had made herself comfortable with a serious look on his face. "Whitney resigned. She also wanted me to let you know that you've caused her severe emotional damage."

Lena stared at him. "Is that supposed to make me feel bad?"

"No. I'm just letting you know that I'm putting out an ad to hire a new casual this afternoon."

"You do that. It's always something with Whitney. Last week, she couldn't come in because she had to move to get away from her housemate who was obsessed with her. I've had enough," she said. "Honestly, who are these girls that the previous manager hired? How do we have this as well as a full-time staff who is allergic to kiwis?"

"She always carries her epinephrine with her."

"Still. Does that not sound insane considering we have kiwi in half our recipes here?"

Marcus shrugged his shoulders. "So uhm—about tomorrow? I still have my class at 9..."

"I'll open, and then I have someone who can cover until 12."

He gave Lena a sideways smile as a thank you. Then he put the sandwich in his hand on the table in front of her. "As promised."

Lena unwrapped the deli paper and lifted the top slice to inspect the ingredients.

Marcus sensed her displeasure straightaway. "What's wrong? I thought you would be excited that they had beefsteak tomatoes today."

"In a baguette?" she said. "I've been on a strict porridge and smoothie diet for the last two days. You can take this back."