From The Eyes of An 8 Year Old

By Cierra Calvaire

A Memoir based on the childhood of Cierra Calvaire.

       This story is dedicated to Angeline Beauboeuf, a beautiful and loving woman. A woman who gave me the gift of life, a woman who has taught me so many things in such little time. I will always feel the need to thank her for that. Rest in Peace.

                                            November 4th, 1978 - December 28th, 2008

Acknowledgements

        After many months of frustrations from writing and constantly revising this story, I would just like to show gratitude to those who genuinely believed in this excursion.

        A special thanks to Greg and Nadia Calvaire, I want to thank them for pushing me to take my writing seriously. All my life, they've been there helping me strive in anything and everything that I've done. Thank you both.

         To Layloni Middleton, for really believing in me and my success. She was really one of my biggest supporters throughout this whole crusade. I really appreciate it.

          To Jeff Miceus along with Kyara Baptiste, for they both have been there for me every step of the way, for this story and all my other stories also. I really appreciate it guys.

          To Destiny Russell, for the endless support in anything that I've tried to achieve. She made sure she was up to date with my stories, and I want to thank her for that.

          To Monee Cayo, Cassandra Ramirez, and Ashley Cadet, these ladies were like my personal editors. They helped me with many revisions I've made to the story. As many times that I got frustrated and wanted to quit, they made sure I kept going. Thanks ladies.

          Lastly, I want to thank Dave Pelzer, author of the AChild Called It ​trilogy. He is a such great author, I love his work. His trilogy is what gave me the idea to write this story. Thank you.

Author's Notes : Some of the names in this story have been changed in order to maintain the privacy of others. This story is based on the child's life from ages 4 to 8. Therefore, it depicts the language and insight of the child during that time period .

        It​ was a quiet and chilly night. My vision became blurry from the tears flooding in my eyes. I glanced at my mother, a feeble and ailing woman. She was gradually walking in front of me. Others knew how seriously sick she was, but in my 4 year old mind, she was always going to be alright.

"Mom, when will you come back?"

"Cierra, I told you, when I feel better."

It was one of the days I dreaded the most, bringing my mother to the hospital. She was born with a disease called, Sickle Cell Anemia. Therefore, she often doesn't feel well, so she has to constantly go to the hospital every time. This time my father's best friend Josy, was bringing her, and I wanted to tag along. She was also my mother's friend, she just met her through my father. I liked Josy, she's nice. Every now and then, I'd sleepover her house and we would watch SpongeBob SquarePants.  

         The October breeze was calmly blowing as we made our way through the parking lot and towards the hospital. Just as I started to pout and kick rocks out of disappointment, my mother collapsed. I let out a blaring cry. My mother started to shake continuously and uncontrollably, causing me to think negative thoughts. Is she dying? She is actually going to die! T​here was a family who were parking their car nearby, they were kind enough to help us carry my mother into the hospital.  I calmed down as we waited in the Emergency Room. Minutes later, a man came and sat down next to us. He asked Josy a few questions about what happened.