20: happiness is a butterfly

In the evening, Natalia nervously entered his office. She hadn't seen Javier since she fell asleep in his arms earlier. When she woke up without him, she was a little disappointed at first and felt left alone again.

But she wasn't mad at him, she knew he needed to talk to Connie. And actually, Natalia was feeling the opposite of mad. She was so happy, he made her feel so good.

And she realized that there was no longer any good reason to keep him waiting. Because yes, he is a womanizer and likes to play with women. But back in Vail, he told her that he would do anything for her. He would beg her to give him another chance.

And now the time had come, she had decided to give him another chance. She hoped that they could somehow be a real family.

Natalia cleaned the windows in his bedroom and waited anxiously for him to return. She was a little nervous, but she told herself that everything will be okay. He sure would be happy about it, right? After all, he always wanted to be with her, like a real couple.

Almost an hour passed while she was changing his bedsheets and cleaning the floor. And when the door opened, she was standing in the bathroom.

She was about to walk over to the door, but when she heard Javier's voice, she knew he was in a bad mood and stayed in the bathroom.

"We're alone now, so talk to me" she then also heard Steve's voice.

"I fucked up. Like big time"

Steve let out a sigh, "What happened?"

"That maid, she—" he started, but Steve interrupted him.

"You mean Natalia?"

"Yeah, Natalia. We met some months ago. And I knocked her up, Steve. She's fucking pregnant"

Natalie felt a sharp pain in her chest. What? He's not happy? Had he just been lying to her the whole time? But the things he had told her in Vail or on his private plane sounded so honest?

"What?! That's great!" Steve replied with a happy laugh, "You always wanted a baby!"

"I know, but with a girlfriend. Or a wife. A woman who suits me, Steve. Not just with a maid" Javier said and Natalia felt her heart break.

So she really had misjudged him. He really was a rich asshole who played with women's feelings. Natalia supported herself on the sink, she was afraid she would collapse. She felt like throwing up. And the tears began to run down her cheeks.

Steve sighed, "Javi, you really shouldn't say something like that. Maybe it'll be a challenge, but it will be good for you. Natalia is a great woman. She's nice, hardworking and honest. Connie really likes her, you know?"

Javier stayed silent for a couple of seconds, "It's the biggest mistake of my life. It should've been Miranda. And you know that"

"No, Miranda is a stupid bitch, and you know that" Steve replied, confused why he's talking about Natalia like that now.

"I saw how you looked at her in Vail, Javi. Why are you suddenly acting like that?" he added.

"I'm not gonna talk about her anymore, yeah? You wanted to know what's going on, and I told you. I really don't wanna hear her name right now, please just leave me alone for a moment, okay?" Javier told his friend.

And without saying anything else, Steve left the room.

Natalia was still standing in the bathroom, she stared into the mirror and wiped away her tears. Suddenly she was glad that she hadn't told him that she wanted to give him another chance. And now, she actually regretted sleeping with him again.

But she didn't want to hide any longer. So she threw the cleaning materials on the floor and left the bathroom. She walked past his desk without looking at him, but still noticed how he was staring at her in shock.

"Natalia? What are you doing here?" he asked her surprised, his voice sounding kinda.. hurt?

Natalia let out a sarcastic chuckle, of course he's pretending to be hurt now, "I'm your maid, so I was cleaning the bathroom, of course" she replied bitterly, left his office and slammed the door shut.

Javier followed her, but Natalia ran to her room and locked the door behind her. She didn't want to see him anymore. She went into her own bathroom to take a shower, and then she cried her heart out.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

Natalia couldn't sleep all night, she was busy thinking about what to do. But then, she decided to just act like nothing happened. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of quitting.

So, at 8am, she walked into his office again. Javier stood next to his desk and packed a suitcase. She wanted to ask him where he was going, but she pretended like she didn't care.

So she ignored him, and she didn't greet him when he said her name. On his desk was an empty whiskey bottle and a full ashtray, and the smell made her nose scrunch in disgust.

Just as she was about to throw the bottle away, she felt his hand on her shoulder, causing her to drop it, startled.

"I'm sorry you heard that yesterday" he told her.

Natalia looked up at him, there was no emotion on his face, he just stared at her. It made her uncomfortable, so she pulled away from his grasp, "I'm glad I heard it. At least now I know what you're really like"

Javier just nodded. He took the black folder from the desk and put it in his suitcase. He didn't want Natalia to see this while he was away. "I'll be gone for a while"

"Okay," she answered briefly, trying not to show any emotions. But on the inside, she was dying to know where he was going.

"Keep taking care of my office, okay? Connie might need your help with the Christmas preparations," he explained while Natalia picked up the shards from the floor.

She furrowed her brows in confusion, "You're not coming back before Christmas?" she blurted out. She couldn't manage to act like she didn't care. Christmas is still weeks away, and even though she was hurt as hell, she would be lying if she said she won't miss him.

"I don't know yet" he replied.

Natalia nodded again, and when he closed the suitcase and left the room without saying another word, she started to cry.

Her tears dripped onto the desk as she cleaned it. She hated him so much right now. For screwing her over like that. She allowed herself to develop feelings for him, and then he leaves her, just like that.

After a few minutes she tried to calm herself down. Maybe a little distance will be good for her.

At least he taught her one thing;

A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

please don't hate me for this chapter </3

And what do you think happened between Javi and Miranda that made him act like that? I'm curious