Prologue : Runaway Convict

Without looking back, I used my legs to run as fast as possible.

The wind rushed past me, whipping my hair.

Adrenaline coursed through my veins, my heart was pumping like crazy.

With my forehead scratched and an arrow pierced through my leg, I clumsily dodged trees and leaped over fallen branches.

Yet no matter how fast I tried to run, it seemed like they were always just a step behind me.

THWIPP!

An arrow flew past my side as my heart pumped even faster.

"Hi-eeh!" I let out a high-pitched scream.

For the second time, it almost struck my head. If it weren't for my maxed luck stat, maybe I wouldn't have dodged that consistent wave of arrows.

"Don't let him get away!" The sound of their heavy armor clanking could be heard, growing louder with each passing second. Seriously, didn't they have anything quieter to wear?

They keep chasing me with my ever-diminishing strength, I can't have them on my tail forever.

My lungs were on fire, I could feel my legs becoming heavier and heavier with each passing second, burning pain as it twitched with each step I took.

The sky was getting redder and redder, casting an eerie glow over the forest.

I didn't know if it was the effect of my eyes being immersed in blood or the twilight that penetrated the forest canopy that was expanding as I ran in a daze.

If I was in an anime or some sort maybe it added a dramatic touch to my already thrilling of comically absurd adventure.

I just hoped it wasn't a sign that things were about to get even worse.

I gritted my teeth as I ran. The pain shot through my body, intensifying with every step I took.

My forehead throbbed, blood trickling down my face, while my leg screamed in agony, a cruel reminder of the arrow that had pierced it not too long ago.

I winced, trying to steady my breathing as I stumbled through the dense forest, desperately seeking a temporary safe haven.

Firstly, I need to treat myself.

My vision began to fade and my head felt like it was about to explode.

But I couldn't stop running. If I did, I was dead meat or at least jailed meat?

I continued to take the winding route, trying to lose the guards behind me, I, Satou Kazuma wouldn't end my story here.

With my pursuers closing in, I spotted a large vein of roots amongst the trees, perfect for a hiding spot.

"[Lurk]." I whispered the skill lowly under my breath.

Desperation took over as I dove behind the roots hiding from them, hoping they would run past me.

I took out my adventurer card, not waiting for myself to gasp for breath.

Frantically, I scrolled through the endless list of spells and skills I could learn.

Shadow Step, Fire Ball, Fortress, Decoy, Blessings, Nature's Beauty, Wind Blast, Critical Point, Lip-Reading, Taunt and so on.

There were so many skills that I could learn from the adventurers in Axel town.

Their experience and expertise were just a few clicks away. But for now, I needed something more immediate.

I needed one specific skill above all else—a magic spell to heal the wounds on my forehead and legs.