Chapter 1

DOUMA KAMIYAMA

12:58 AM.

My phone rang loudly filling the empty room with one sound,but the ringtone that i heard wasn't the ringtone that anyone wanted to hear at any point in their life.It wasn't the ringtone of any of my existing contacts.It's the ringtone of the Heralds of Death.The ringtone that makes your blood go cold and a chill run down your spine.I look at my phone with my eyes wide as onions as I begin shaking and tears sting my eyes,while I stare at the screen of my phone."I'm gonna die today." Is the first thing that comes to my mind after i hear the ringtone.No,i can't die!But they never make mistakes,do they...I extend my pale,thin hand that was shaking like i was about to make a presentation in front of the whole world as i grasp the phone and bring it closer to me,while reluctance of answering the phone washes over me,along the dread,fear and frustration i felt when i firstly heard it.I didn't want to answer but i had no choice.If i declined they'd keep calling and calling and calling until i answer,because they don't give up.I can just block the number but I'll still die anyway.Shaking and knowing that with every second i waste my time i could get killed before I even get the chance to answer the call.My finger comes closer to the screen,and i click 'answer'.The nightmare is about to begin.

I heard a woman's voice on the other side of the line.It was soft.I was crying.

-Hello,is this Douma Kamiyama?She asks from behind the screen.My name is Nakime Fujiwara.Can you confirm your name for me?She asked as nicely as she could,like she knew my fear.

I shudder,sniffling while trying to hold back my salty tears.

-Y-yes...That's me,Douma Kamiyama..I answer shakily,as it gets harder and harder for me to contain my feelings.

Nakime sighs softly,as she seems to have heard my fear.Her voice softened.I knew what she'd say.

-Douma,I'm sorry to tell you this but within the next 24 hours,you will suffer an early death.Even if we can't do anything to prevent this from happening,we can still give you a chance to live your life.Log into the website heralds-of-death.com and complete the questionnaire for your burial.Install the app 'Last Friend' to spend your day with someone else.

I don't listen to Nakime anymore.I already know what she's going to say next,as I've read about it and heard it on TV,from other people and even my friends.I didn't need their sorries.I didn't want to hear it.I felt like I'd throw up,and felt the need to do so,but i held back and instead decided to close the call.She wasn't needed.I just cried.

-Shut up!I yelled at Nakime.I don't need your pathetic excuses or sorries!I don't need that damn app of yours!I cried and my voice cracked.

It was hard for me to contain my feelings.In the first place,i couldn't even actually feel them.They stung badly.I was raised in a cult where they shut out my emotions,and now,as an adult,i couldn't make the connections between what was happiness and what was sadness.It was confusing.And sad.I didn't want to yell but my emotions got out of control,and i didn't know why.I took my pills,i always did.This was new.

Nakime didn't answer,and i just ended the call.I didn't want to talk anymore.I threw my phone on the bed and collapsed onto the floor,sinking my fingers into my messy blonde hair,as i just keep sobbing,realising i won't achieve a ton of things.Graduating dancing university,become a dancer,get married to my boyfriend and so much more..I cry and don't stop,and when i finally find strenght to grab my phone,i know who I'll call to spend my last day with.Him.