01

“A long time ago, 90 years to be exact, there lived a cruel witch. She has a horrible and ugly face that even animals won’t look at. She lived a very long life. Thus, people called her ‘the Everlady.’

She lived in the dark forest. A place where only monsters and beasts can live. If ordinary humans enter this forest, the monsters will beat them up and kill them in one second. Everlady was the only person who could freely enter and exit the dark forest because of her black magic.

One day, she released the cursed creature from the sealed dark forest. It’s a creature we know as the Jabberwock. Once she unsealed the forest, other beasts from the forest followed Jabberwock wherever it went. They were moving under Everlady’s command, to destroy villages and make it Everlady's territory.

Our beloved village was the closest one to the dark forest. We often got attacked by the monsters more than any other villages. People could even see the forest from the north border. That's why only rubble remains in the northern part of the village. People said that it was destroyed when the Jabberwock was first unsealed from the dark forest.

Jabberwock and the beasts can’t stand the morning sun. Its light will burn their skin and flesh. That’s why The Jabberwock only goes out at night after the sunset.

Not so long after the witch released The Jabberwock, The entire empire’s soldier, knight, and sorcerer are directed by the emperor to kill the witch with the hope of stopping this Jabberwock’s terror.

They searched for Everlady all over the dark forest. It takes months and a big sacrifice to finally discover the witch’s hiding spot. A lot of the empire's troops lost their lives. But that’s worth the outcome. Our forces beheaded the witch successfully. Unfortunately, the Jabberwock attack didn’t end. It continues for decades. Even almost a century now.

The only way to ward off The Jabberwock’s terror was by using the light magic possessed only by the nobles. They set up a magic barrier to prevent the Jabberwock from entering the village. In our village, the one who’s responsible for our safety against Jabberwock is Count Atkinson. He lives in that big mansion near the village’s hall.

Since they are the only ones who can use light magic, The nobles are now seeking a way to seal the Jabberwock back into the forest. That’s why we must respect the nobles because they are working hard to make us safe.”

The old lady who was telling their village’s story stroked her grandson’s hair. He has blonde hair and red eyes just like his grandmother.

“But, grandma, isn't the emperor wrong? The Jabberwock’s attack didn’t end after they killed the witch. What if it wasn’t the witch’s fault?” ask the boy.

“Well, we will never know. All that the emperor's regret was that he never asked the witch how to seal the forest back” said the old lady softly.

The boy made a displeased face, “I don’t like him. He could have just asked the witch to seal back the forest. No one would die if he did that. We suffered for almost a century because of him!”

His grandma was laughing. “Well, why don't you try to find a way to seal the Jabberwock then? Maybe not only light magic that can ward off Jabberwock's attack.”

His grandson was jumping with excitement, “Yes, I will find a way to seal the Jabberwock and free us all from this terror! Not like that emperor who only caused another problem. I will make sure none of those beasts are coming back,” His grandma only laughed and smiled at her grandson’s words.