Chapter 44

Luffy wasn't actually sure they'd make it to Upper Yard with his directions. It's a good thing they did, though! Nami had gotten them where they needed to be without actually knowing where they needed to be. It was a fun game of chase. Though, after he'd set the course, he'd gone to try the den-den. He needed to get a hold of Ace. Unfortunately, the signal wasn't reaching.

"We're here," Zoro walked into the galley where Luffy had stationed himself. The others had been training on deck for a bit. "Wherever 'here' is."

"It's called Upper Yard." Luffy said, "It's where our next adventure is!"

"And fight?"

"Yeah, and fight."

A sigh. "What's on your mind, captain?"

A chuckle. "I can't hide anything from you, can I."

"Nope. I've been stuck with you too long. Besides, you can't fight alongside someone without getting to understand them a bit."

"I guess you're right." A pause. "I can't get a hold of Ace."

"Oh?"

"I called Whitebeard when we left Jaya to tell him that Blackbeard was following us for my bounty-"

"What!?"

"-but the line cut when the Knock-Up Stream launched us. Now, the den-den won't even wake up."

Matter's of his captain being a target aside, Zoro said, "I don't really know how to help with that. That sounds like it'd be more of the girls' expertise."

Luffy shook his head. "I don't want help. I just want someone to listen."

"Well," Zoro scratched at his head, "I don't know how good I am at that, either, but I can try."

A grin split the young captain's face. "That's all I ask."

***

Leaving the ship in Chopper and Usopp's care, the rest left to explore the forest. They weren't going to go too far, just enough to get rid of any hostels in the area. And look for the golden city. The trip was a bit short and uneventful. The exploration party came back just as the sun was setting to find the ship not where they left her. Instead, she was sitting up on what appeared to be a stone altar. Chopper and Usopp were unconscious on the main deck.

"Are you alright?" Sanji asked as the two woke up.

"Yeah, I think," Chopper held a hoof to his head. "No concussion. No spinning. Usopp?"

The sniper also sat up, pulling his knees to his chest. "I think I'm okay. What happened?""

"We should be asking you that." Nami huffed.

"I would say it was an attack," Robin looked around, "but nothing seems to be damaged. Aside from the ship not being in the water anymore, that is."

Luffy was stretching his Observation Haki a bit farther so it wasn't just covering his crew. Whatever had moved the Going Merry wasn't in the area. The giant snake was asleep right on the edge of where he could sense it. Enel and his army weren't within his range, so he didn't know where they were. He did know that Enel was watching them. "Whatever moved the Merry is gone now." he opened his eyes, "I'm hungry, Sanji!"

The cook stubbed out his cigarette. "Yeah, yeah. Are we cooking here or are we camping out on the island?"

A shine in the raven haired boy's eyes, "Bonfire party!" It was decided.

***

Robin was sitting just within the light of the bonfire when Luffy approached her. She put down her book. "Do you trust me?"