1

The quaint breeze tickled your nose as you rushed across the valley. The feeling of the cold grass and dirt pressing to your feet. Nothing but your curiosity carries you as the shadow of a cloud follows you before the beaming sun chases it away to lighten your view. The sweet smell of summer rose around you with the summer warmth. A time when sitting and picking the prettiest flowers from the field meant nothing.

You turn your head, glancing back at your home, sitting high on the hill it perched as you walked lower down towards the bramble and bush of the forest. Your small lilac dress flowing in the wind as your mind thought senselessly of the dangers of nature. You picked up the pace, on to meet face to face with his eyes. Dark, soft, oak, and honeydew. His brown eyes. They glistened with a deep curiosity and tears of fear as you stared back in wonder. He stood in dark brown trousers with an unfamiliar and alien attire to his shirt. You observed him of his bowl cut hair and untied shoelaces. His small lips quivered, before making a break into the birched unknown.

You rush after quickly, wanting to be of a visitor to his travels, regardless of his surprising and unprepared arrival.

"Mommy!" He yelped. You leapt after, confused for his fear.

"Wait...!" You stumble behind, dodging the trees as if they have a means to block you. The boy glances back with apprehension, before tripping and catching his fall from the edge of a slope. He turns around, almost defensively, hiding his agitation and instead shields his face with his fists, small but ready.

You stop but trip, only to cascade past him. A slow but shared glance connects between you and him as he snatches the sleeve of your dress. Until you both fall and tumble with the leaves and branches. One roll and then another and another....

"Wake up!"

You fall out of bed, your forehead bumping the floor with a small thud along with your sleep induced body.

"How many bloody times do I have to call after ya'?! Your gonna miss the tram!"

You groan softly, hearing the sounds of your great aunt nag and mumble as she slams the door.

"Another morning... another dollar... another drag day..." You mumble under your breath and pull yourself up to look at your clock.

"The tram!" You scramble for your coverall and grab your bandana, wrapping your hair, and placing on the small pocket watch underneath.

You raced down the rickety wooden stairs and grabbed your lunch bag before flying out the door, struggling to shove both leather boots you had onto your feet. The street bustled with people. Some men dressed fresh in dark trousers with silver button up jackets while women in long fabrics with short laces petticoats and umbrellas. Even the delicate feather tended to acquaint their persona.

You kept your head low as you quickened your pace, aware of how you stood out in mens attire within a woman's figure. You fasten your buttons quickly as you spot the boardwalk down the ghosted alleyway and make a run for it. You swiftly hop the legs of rugglers and traders as they block your path as if on queue to your haste. You leap the storage boxes and hear a stray "Hey!" but continue on. As the tram chugs with your adrenaline you catch a glimpse of a familiar face in the back window.

You yell in a tight whisper, as she's turned away, looking out the window of the tram.

"Jessie! Jessie, it's me!" You huff slightly, pushing strength into your legs. Just barely does she notice you and sneaks away from the crowd, smiling ever so sweetly only to save you again through continuous illegal activity. Finally she is onto the back of the tram's rail. Her golden locks and her pale blue dress of ribbons whip back and forth as the speed starts to accelerate with the tram's movement.

"Hurry Y/N, before they catch notice!" She whips out her umbrella and reaches it out as the porcelain white handle extends to your hand.

You push your legs as hard as they can carry you and lunge for the umbrella handle, your toes slightly dragging beneath you. You pull as Jessie does and finally she yanks you over the safety of the rail. You gasp for air, lungs tight from the late morning workout you put yourself through.

"We have got to stop our morning greetings like this..." Jessie sighs with a light giggle.

"Whatever do you mean...? A good stride in the morning will help the blood flow to my face. You know what they say about flushed gals in the morning." You smirk, still winded.

"Oh hush." Jessie laughs, "I can only hope that one day you'll make 'nough to get out the dry slums, and then we won't have to hide anymore..." Her smile saddens.

"Oh don't worry, I will. Ever since I got here, that has been my dream. To leave. To make a piece of what I lost. I can feel it... it's soon." You rise to your feet with a determined grin.

Before Jessie can say another word, a rapping of knocks hit the window. The tram tallie.

"Ah... magmites." You swear to yourself.

"Sorry..." Jessie whispers.

Dictionary:

Tram: A train

Coverall: Gender neutral factory working-suit

Ruggler: A beggar or hobo

Dry Slums: Poverty ridden neighborhood of the West 

Tram Tallie: Conductor's assistant and ticket puncher

Magmites: Crap or shit