Chapter 1 Act I

"How disappointing..."

There were three injured Fatui soldiers, all of them down on one knee as they bowed their heads in remorse and shame. No amount of apology and penitence can recover what has been damaged under their dear archon's name.

After the battle that took place in Nazuchi Beach, they were the only ones who survived and escaped the outcome of the war, leaving their comrades and allies to be captured or face the most honorable way to end their duties, death. They managed to slip away and set sail back to Snezhnaya right before the tides of the war turned into the Shogunates' favor.

Right now, they're facing the consequences with heavy regret for bringing dreadful news regarding their failed scheme. The only thing they could hope for right now is a lighter sentence or perhaps just a dismissal from their service.

If only that were to be an easy outcome in this situation.

Before the three is a figure of a tall man with icy-blue hair. His back was turned towards the trio for a moment, then he let out a deep sigh which startled the injured soldiers before he then finally made a turn to face them.

"Not only you failed to accomplish your mission and have the Shogunates confiscate the chemicals, but you also had sullied the good name of the Tsaritsa and brought shame to this organization" He had a calm and stern voice, but the weight of his words had brought the three to fear for the worst that may come to them sooner or later.

As one of the soldiers was about to say something, the man then continued.

"Months ago, you reported that you had found the girl but failed to capture her. I gave you three a chance to redeem yourselves through this mission and yet you all failed to complete such a simple task" He clicked his tongue as he took a few steps forward towards them.

The trio slowly tilted their head to look up at him, feeling the terror and wrath of their superior despite there's almost like little to none emotion shown, even behind his mask.

"Lord Harbinger... p-please forgive us.." Uttered out by one of the soldiers as his voice trembled.

"Forgiveness, you say? Funny as it sounds, but you know very well how the Fatui deals with failures such as yourselves" A wry smile broke from the man's lips, looking down upon them like they were nothing but insects.

"Now, let's turn you useless lot into something useful, shall we?"

***

You gasped out for air as you got up from your bed. You looked around for a moment and calmed down the moment your mind finally familiarized with your surroundings. You're currently inside a room of Wangshu Inn as you and Heizou decided to stay for the night since it's still a long way to get to Mondstadt and you both had just arrived in Liyue.

"Having a bad dream?" The redhead detective approached your waking figure and sat beside you on your bed.

"Mmm... what time is it...?" You mumbled out while yawning and wondering why the detective is still awake at this hour.

"It's still in the middle of the night. I'm currently just staying up to keep watch"

"We're not in the wild, Heizou... let's just go to sleep.." You laid back down as he just let out a chuckle. You wouldn't allow the man to make any more excuses so just grabbed him by the arm and dragged him down on the bed right beside you.

"Alright, alright, I'll sleep" He said as he laid down and turned to face you, placing his arm over you as he pulled you close to his chest. "For your sake~"