Soulmate

"She's not your soulmate," I said with a bored expression.

The guy in front of me panicked. "That can't be. Take another look. We must be soulmates."

How dare he order me around? "What did you say was the first word she said to you?" I asked, maintaining my indifferent expression.

"Excuse me."

"No, after that." I was annoyed by his incompetence. Everyone knew that you had to compare your mark with the whole sentence.

"Can you show me the direction to the cathedral? That's what she said." He was bellowing by now. I looked at the scared girl sitting next to him.

"Yeah, your mark doesn't say so," I said as I stood up to leave the place. We were in a roadside cafe in the middle of nowhere because I was traveling for something important before this guy had decided to waste my time.

"Hey! Do you think you can fool me? You're not a seer, are you? You're a fake."

My blood started to boil. The only thing that can make me mad is some arrogant idiot calling me a fake. "You know what? Maybe you don't have a soulmate. Maybe you don't have a mark at all." I walked out, leaving the guy bewildered behind me.

There are three kinds of people.

1. The normal ones - people with a soulmate and a mark.
2. The unfortunate ones - people with a mark but no soulmate.
3. The sinful ones - people who neither have a mark nor a soulmate.

That guy from the cafe was a normal one, but he was unworthy of love. Of course she wasn't his soulmate, but I wished that he didn't find her ever.

I sat in my truck with a sigh and turned on the radio.

'Right to Love' activists are protesting in front of the parliament today. Though the group consists of a very small number of people, there is an awful lot of public display of affec-

I tuned it off. They had to fight a lot to have the right to love whoever they wanted. Being a seer, I could never join them.

I was staring at the roof for an hour before we stopped, and Roy climbed into the truck like he owned it. "Hey man! Why can't you pick up my calls?" he asked, offended.

I checked my phone; it was muted. I continued staring at the roof.

He sighed and scooted near me. "I heard about what happened today. Don't take these to heart. People tend to act like jerks when they are told that their lover is not their soulmate."

"Lover? He met her a week ago. He wanted her to be his soulmate because she was timid and would put up with his shit."

"That doesn't mat-"

"How can it not matter, Roy? People can't fall in love with someone who is not their soulmate? The whole system is fucked up." I had no reason to fight with Roy, but I had to let it out somewhere.

"Okay. Okay. I know why you feel that way. Let's talk about our mission now." Roy wouldn't get it. He had a loving soulmate to care for him. Despite being one of the hundred gifted seers in the world, I was the unfortunate-no, the sinned one.

He kept talking, oblivious to the thoughts circling my mind. "Now, our mission today is to find a criminal."

"Isn't that the job of the cops? Why are we involved in this?" I asked, confused.

"That's because they don't know how how the criminal looks. They only know that...", he hesitated.

"A sinner." I guessed.