ᴘᴏᴘᴄᴏʀɴ ꜱᴛᴀɴᴅ | ᴍɪꜱꜱ ʀᴏᴍᴀɴᴏꜰꜰ

To Francesca,
my favourite delusional person
who's madly attracted to
her former teacher (I can't blame you).

[In this short story, Maria Hill is a former high school student who used to be very close to her maths teacher, Miss Romanoff. When her little sister Kate asked if she could help for a school event, Maria accepted, looking forward to seeing her former teacher again.]

"Maria, come on! They need help setting everything up!" Kate whined, pulling on my sleeve to get me out of my bed.

"Didn't you say the event was on Friday?" I questioned, checking my phone to see "Thursday" appear on my screen, right above the time.

"Yes, but they need help setting up the tables and everything, dummy" she sighed, letting go of my arm.

"Alright, let me finish getting ready and I'll go" I accepted. At first, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of carrying table and chairs. Then, it hit me. She might be there. I slightly blushed as I looked at my face in the mirror and shook my head, trying to push the thoughts away. "She's your teacher, Maria" I whispered to myself. Except, it wasn't true. She was my teacher, at some point, but not anymore.

I put on a leather jacket, laced my shoes and grabbed my car keys. I looked over at Kate who was comfortably laying on the couch. I shot her a questioning look, and she made it very clear she wouldn't come with me. She had a mischievous smirk on her face as she watched me leave through the front door.

When I reached my destination and got out of my car, I was surprised by how small the place looked. It hasn't been that long since I left, but in my memories, it surely seemed bigger. I made my way to the cafeteria, place where Kate told me they needed help. When I opened the door, the room was filled with teachers and parents trying to make it look more organised. I ran into one of my former teachers, Miss Maximoff.

"Maria, it's so nice seeing you here!" she greeted me, pulling me in for a hug. I was quite surprised at first, but I hugged her back and smiled at the interaction.

"Well, Kate told me you needed help to set everything up for tomorrow" I explained the reason why I was here, earning a thankful smile from the redhead.

"I think help is need over there, at the popcorn stand" she pointed towards a table which was quite far from all the others. I headed there, trying to see if anyone else was standing nearby. That's when I saw her. She was half hidden behind the popcorn machine. Her piercing eyes focused on the way her table was set up. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and shook her head, making her dirty brown hair fall around her face.

"It looks really good" I shyly spoke. She didn't even raise her head to look at me, in fact she seemed even more upset.

"If it's some kind of sarcastic comment, you can keep it to yourself" she sternly spoke back, her eyes still focused on the table. She softly bit her lip, eyebrows still frowned.

"I mean it, it looks really good" I repeated, trying to be more convincing. I truly thought it looked good, I guess I was just too impressed by her presence to speak clearly. She finally raised her head to look at me, her crystal-clear eyes meeting my deep brown ones. For a second, I forgot how to breathe. There was something about the way she looked at me that made me feel weak on my knees. "Wait, do you actually think of me that way?" I asked, acting like her reaction offended me. To be honest, for a quick moment, it did.

"Of course not, Maria" she reassured me, gently placing her hand on my shoulder. She smiled as she softly squeezed on my shoulder, making my cheek turn to a bright shade of pink. "I just can't figure out how to make this look better" she admitted, biting her bottom lip again.