Chapter 4: Lake

A

fter a week,

Dhruv was in his room at home, thinking about Darpan's foolish acts. He glanced at his drawer, where the handkerchief Darpan had given to the waiter was kept. He looked at it for a moment before closing the drawer again.

"Why do you seem so familiar? I just don't know, I can't remember... but why do I feel like I've seen you before?"

"Sameer!" Dhruv called out to his secretary, who was standing outside the room waiting for his orders.

Dhruv called his name calmly, a tone Sameer had never heard from him before. Worried, Sameer asked, "What happened, boss? Is everything okay?"

"Why?" Dhruv asked.

"You never talk to me like that before, that's why I got worried about you."

"What? Go and get information about the girl from the café, okay?" Dhruv said coldly.

"What? Who is this girl? Is it a girl you're stalking? Until now, girls have always run after him, but since when did he start following girls? Who is this girl?" Sameer thought to himself because he knew if he asked such questions, Dhruv would surely fire him.

"Okay, her name, photo, anything, boss?"

"No, I don't know. The manager said he doesn't know the girl."

"Go to the café and try to get information from the CCTV as well, okay?"

"Am I supposed to do magic tricks to find out about someone just by waving a magic wand or something? And they don't even know anything about that girl."

"I shouldn't have come to his house today; it's a holiday, isn't it?" Sameer thought to himself.

Sameer said, "Okay, boss, I'll try..." with a resigned expression and left.

Dhruv was sitting in his room when his phone rang.

He picked up the phone and said, "Hello, how are you, Ma?"

"Are you going to come home today or not, or will you stay in that house with empty boxes?" his mother said in a slightly angry tone.

"Have you thought about that girl Khushi? Her parents called me yesterday, so I need your answer about her."

"No, I think she'll find someone better than me." (She was just boring, not like that other girl. At least that first girl was fun to listen to. Her frog topic was epic.)

"Okay, beta... If you keep refusing all these proposals, then tell me the reason for it. As long as I'm alive, I want to see you get married. It's my only wish, but my son doesn't agree."

Hearing this question from his mother, Dhruv remained still for a few seconds. He then said, "I just feel that I'm not ready for all this."

"I just keep working all day long. Do you ever think about your mother or not? You didn't even come home on your day off today."

"And why didn't you come with us yesterday? You should have met your childhood friend, but you were too busy. Do you know your friend has become even more beautiful than before? Haha."

"Why don't you do something?"

"Do something like what?" Dhruv asked.

"Why don't you marry her?"

Dhruv remembered something when he saw Darpan for the first time—she was crying.

"Oh, come on, Ma, she's just my friend."