Four Thousand Miles Away

By: Aurora Herschellf Pulpit

"You met online"

"You barely know one another"

"Long distance relationships never work"

These are some of the things people say when they are too afraid to follow their heart.

When you meet someone so amazing, so perfect in your eyes, that you would move halfway around the world and learn another language just to be near them...

That type of love is rare; so rare that it is almost unheard of.

Although, I've seen it happen.

I've witnessed two people falling in love with one another regardless of distance, language barriers, religion, race, et cetera.

If only that could be us.

I wish I could show you how I truly feel; how every time you message me or call, I am elated; my heart full of happiness and love.

I imagine waking up next to you every day and seeing the face I am so enamored with.

How I wish we could be together to laugh and cry and comfort one another when things go wrong; to have a family and grow old together...

And reminisce of the day we met...

Online...

From half the world away...

A complete stranger...

You helped me remember what it feels like to be alive again; to love again.

But the feeling of unrequited love lingers in my heart, for I know you feel it's better to remain friends.

Although I disagree, I respect your decision.

I am so thankful that you are in my life and all I can wish for is your happiness, even if it isn't with me.

So no matter the circumstances, just know how I feel, for life is too short for me to keep these feelings hidden.

You are my best friend, and yet, I love you more than words can say.

I will always be there for you, through thick and thin.

Either right by your side...

Or from four thousand miles away.