𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚𝙧

✶☾✶☾✶

Long ago, the Sun and the Moon walked the Earth.

They lived in harmony, and between the two they created all the creatures that roamed the forests and swam the seas. Every being existed in peace.

One day, however, the Sun and Moon's relationship began to sour. They argued ceaselessly over which was best, the night or the day. Neither would give, and when the fighting became too much, they sailed into the sky, leaving their creations to fend for themselves. From their new lofty perches they tended their old realm. The Moon caressed the oceans, creating its tides and waves. The sun brushed light over the land, sowing great, towering trees and flowing vines.

Those left on the Earth divided. One side praised the Sun, and her daybreak; the other worshipped the Moon and her twilight. The split was not clean, and much blood was lost. At the end, there were two clans of cats that remained: Luneclan and Solclan. Upon the break, Luneclan dove into the sea and were given gifts from the Moon; in a similar fashion, Solclan climbed the tallest peaks and were rewarded by the Sun.

Luneclan emerged from the waves with webs between their toes and lungs that rivalled whales'. Solclan flew down from the mountains on newly made wings, with claws sharper than eagles'. Over time, the cats of the land and sea grew accustomed to their gifts. They created camps and filled them. They multiplied, and prospered greatly.

As time went on, the bitter hatred between the two clans dulled to a quiet dislike. There was still fighting, but far less than there had been at the time of the split. In due course, the leaders of these clans met on an island. They agreed that, when the Sun met the Moon in an eclipse to settle their differences, the clans would also meet on that very spot. They decided that, during that brief period of truce, all cats would be in harmony as they were when Sun and Moon walked among them.

And so it has been. The cats of land and sea do not mix, save on the days of peace.

That is, until now.

✶☾✶☾✶