My boy (pt 3) (8)

"Why don't we go for a walk before his bedtime" I asked Charlotte as she cleaned Wilder up after dinner, "yeah sure, do you wanna try and change him into something warmer" she asked picking him up and placing him onto her hip.

"Like a shirt and pants" I asked questioning my own words, "a long sleeve" she said as she smiled before spinning around and rinsing his hands in the sink. "Got it" I said smiling as I made my way towards them, "are you sure you can hold him while standing" she asked as she placed wilder into my arms and I held him just like I watched her do. I jokingly rolled my eyes before walking down the hallway and seeing only one bedroom.

"Umm Charlotte where's his room" I asked more confused them ever, "check my closet" she said, she sounded almost embarrassed. I made my way into her room turning on the light on my way in, I opened her closet to be met with a tiny room holding a crib, rocking chair and shelves on the wall with all his things.

"This is where you sleep buddy" I asked Wilder as I moved him higher up on my hip. I grabbed a brown crew neck and white pants making sure to add shoes so he could walk, I mean I think he can walk. I made my way back to Charlottes room before realizing I had zero clue what I was doing.

"Charlotte I need help" I quietly yelled down the hallway, "already" she said laughing as she walked around the door frame wiping her wet hands onto her shirt. "I'm so lost" I said feeling like an instant failure, I wasn't used to loosing.

"Grab me a diaper and wipes" she said as she took wilder from me and laid him onto her bed between her legs. I looked around the room before noticing a basket placed on top of her dresser holding just what I needed, I grabbed a diaper and pack of wipes before sitting next to them and handing them to her.

"Here take off his sleeper" she said moving her hands away for me to do so, I slowly undid the zipper scared of catching his skin in it and slipped it off of his tiny body. "Throw it into that hamper" she said as she pointed across the room, I lifted the sleeper above my head and threw it before it landed on the floor directly next to the hamper.

"I'll get that after" she said shaking her head and holding back a laugh, I watched feeling helpless as she changed his diaper before placing it into a garbage under her nightstand. "Can I dress him" I asked not wanting to interfere, "I was gonna make you anyways, sit like I am" she said as I shifted and she picked him up before laying him between my legs.

"Pants then crewneck" she said watching my every move around slowly not knowing what to do, I slowly slid the pants up his legs before sliding his crewneck over his head. "What about the shoes" I asked holding them up, "Max he's only taken a few steps" she said while tickling his belly so he didn't crawl away. "But I like them" I said smiling at my son, "put em on him" she said laughing before standing up and making her way to the sleeper I threw on the floor before picking it up and placing it into the hamper properly.

"Ready" she asked as she walked towards the door, "yeah" I replied while scooping up wilder and carefully standing up. "Let me grab the stroller" she said walking down the hallway, "can I just carry him" I asked genuinely not wanting to let him go. "Suit yourself, he gets heavy" she said sliding on her shoes.

"Can you take him while I put mine on" I asked to avoid dropping him, "come here baby" she said smiling at our son as he practically jumped into her arms before kissing him on the cheek causing him to burst into giggles.

I slipped on my shoes as quickly as I could without looking crazy, "okay I can take him" I said quickly taking him back in my arms as Charlotte placed a soother into his mouth. "Let's go buddy" I said as I rubbed his cheek and walked out the door. "Where do you wanna go" I asked stepping out of the big glass apartment doors into the cold wind breeze, "let's go by the river" Charlotte said and began walking towards an alleyway.