Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Okay so I have been beyond excited for this chapter. I will not even lie. I expect full comments on the next two chapters because I am excited and I need to know what you think!)

Shawn could hear the child still crying as his dad shushed him desperately. He could not help but notice that there did not appear to be a woman with him, only him and the child. It had him briefly wondering where she was.

"He is a child." Shawn found himself speaking in a relatively calm voice despite his pounding heart.
"Are you really going to kill a child for being frightened in a situation you created? What did you think would happen when you decided to rob a bank with children and families?"

"Shawn." He could still hear Leo's hushed, panicked whisper as the gun was pressed firmly to the side of his head, the gunman stepping closer into his personal space.

"The fuck did you say to me?" The man demanded, the gun jamming harshly into his head. He was sure it would leave a mark on his temple, but he refused to give in. He would not act like the scared bitch he had been in front of Chance. At least not with a child's life on the line.

"You heard what I said. Now, you can either get your money and avoid any more killing, or you risk jail for not just one man but a child as well. And I can tell you, prison does not treat those who harm children lightly." He said lowly, noting how the child's screaming had quieted, and he was now sobbing into his dad's jacket as the man held him tight before rapidly backing away.

"You have some fucking nerve. I should blow your brains right here and now -"

"Leave the damn kid alone and get your ass over here! We do not have time for you to be playing around." It was another masked man who shouted at the one holding a gun to Shawn's head. Shawn nearly collapsed in relief when the gun was jammed against him one more time before the man turned away. Shawn soon turned to the man and child, releasing a breath when he saw that they both seemed okay. He startled when he heard sirens outside, and the phone in the bank rang.

Shawn released a slow and controlled breath as he tried to creep his way back to Leo. He was surprised when his wrists were grasped, and he was jerked flush against Leo's chest, the man's heart pounding rapidly.
"Leo..." He mumbled, his eyes fluttering closed.

"If you ever do something that fucking stupid again, Shawn, I will kill you." Leo hissed out, his arms impossibly tight around him. He could hardly complain as his eyes squeezed shut.

"He was just a child." He whispered quietly. Leo shushed him, pressing his lips to Shawn's head. The situation they were in was hardly one they could have ever predicted, but then, who wakes up and expects to be in the midst of a bank robbery? It took every ounce of Shawn's self-control to hold tightly to Leo and pretend they were somewhere else, anywhere else. Somewhere that they were safe and alone with one another.

"I love you, Shawn." Leo's voice was a soft whisper in his ear, and he swallowed thickly, squeezing his hand.

"I love you." He responded quietly, though he flinched when he heard a woman scream before the gun went off once more, silencing the noise.

"What the hell?" One of the gunmen snapped, and the one from before grunted as he grabbed a bag, jerking dye packs out of it and dropping them to the floor.

"The dumb bitch can't listen."

"Oh, god." Shawn choked out as he realized it was the teller who had been helping him and Leo. Leo shushed him gently, holding Shawn's head firmly to his chest to keep him from attempting to look at the situation. There was no denying the frustration and fear that was bubbling inside Shawn. His eyes found the father of the child across the room, noting that he was holding his own child in a very similar position.
"I want to go home, Leo."