Book Ending

Feeling the familiar bumps in the road, the houses of close friends passing by, everything I've ever loved and known leaving my sight, only reminding me that this would be the last time I would ever see home. An abundance of emotions were flowing through me, but I felt numb. Numb to the point where I didn't care. Life has thrown so many rocks into my path that it's become a wall. Too large to climb over and too large to see on the other side. I have no hope for a future. The destiny I'm facing was always meant to break me, only time would tell when I would fully be gone, unreachable to the outside world and people around me.

"We'll finally be together forever," Even mumbled lowly in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. "One happy couple you and I will be."

My body was shaking at the close proximity. I couldn't think of anything besides having to get away. I knew there was no hope thinking I could, but just maybe, maybe I could escape and get away. I've gotten away before, so what's the difference? Well, the difference is that Even helped the first time. Convinced me that he was one of us, having to endure the torture for months before any of us even got there.

I can't believe I trusted him. Theo was right and now he's dead because of me. I should have listened to my friends. Shouldn't have gone to my room alone. I should have stayed in the presence of my family. So many things I could have done differently to not be in this situation. If Hazel hadn't convinced me to go to that party by the lake I would still be home, happy with my parents and enjoying my life.

But no, I had to be the naive friend and go with her. I hated crowds and hated parties even more. I was only there because Hazel wanted to investigate the 'runaways' and thought the lake would be the perfect place to start. How wrong could we have been; or how right, whichever way you look at it, we did end up finding the missing kids.

"Even, where do you want to go?" Caleb asked from the front seat, looking at us through the rearview mirror.

"Anywhere we want Caleb, as long as it's far away from Ohio," Even said, turning to me. "Where do you want to go, Babe?"

I looked down in my seat, a loose tear sliding down my face, before whispering quietly, "Home." My voice cracked, more tears slipping out of my hold and falling. "I want to go home."

"As long as we're together, we are home," Even stated confidently. I looked up from my lap to see that he was smirking. His smirk instantly fell as he saw the tears running down my face. "Oh, Baby, don't cry. There's no reason to cry," His voice was comforting and my body was starting to relax until he wrapped his strong, muscular arms around my shoulders, putting me in his chest. "Here, drink this," He handed me a water bottle I didn't realize he had and I took a drink. When I was done he pulled me back so I rested on his chest again. "As soon as you realize why we're doing this you'll thank us," He mumbled into my hair, causing confusion to bubble underneath the surface.

I opted not to question his delusions. I was exhausted and couldn't think straight. My eyes felt heavy and it was difficult to keep them open. I continued to fight sleep, not wanting to lose my guard around these people, but my eyes finally closed fully.

"That's it, go to sleep," Were the final words I heard from Even.

What was in that water, was my last thought before I fell into darkness

————————

I woke to the sweet smell of pancakes and the wonderful chirping of birds. The windows opened, was my first thought, opening my eyes only to realize I wasn't trapped in that room anymore. No, I was someplace worse.

The memories of yesterday came swarming back to me quicker than I would have liked. I couldn't think of anything. I shot out of bed quicker than I should have when a pain shot through my head. It was the pain and dizziness that sent me back to bed faster than I had gotten up.