Chapter One- A Brush With Fate

Evan's POV

"Evangeline!" I heard in the parking lot.

I froze in place, my wolf on high alert. For the past year she had been suppressed after the... incident... but in this moment her ears perked up and my heart began to beat out of my chest.

I looked up to see a man I didn't recognize. How did he know my name? Who was he?

I tried to mindlink my friend Clarice, but it was like my brain and wolf couldn't connect to send the link.

As the man got closer, I turned to run, but his hands were already on my body.

"What the actual fuck?! Don't touch me!" I shoved him off.

"Amore, please," he whispered.

I could see pain in his eyes. I was confused by this. He wasn't my mate and I had never seen him before.

"Amore? What? How do you even know my government name, no one calls me that," I huffed.

"Evangeline, please. You can't tell me you don't feel that," he whimpered.

"Feel what? A mate bond? No way," I laughed.

I saw his eyes flash a dark color and his aura forced me to look away from him, but he grabbed my chin, "Don't look away from me, Evangeline. You are mine and I will prove it to you."

I jerked my head out of his grasp and took a step back, "Who are you?"

"Your mate. Alpha Savarino of the Red Dusk Pack," he said proudly.

"Well, I have bad news for you. I'm not Luna material. The Moon Goddess got this one wrong, and I refuse to accept this," I hissed at him.

My words cut through him like a knife, but I knew his type. All alphas are the same.

My wolf whined, attempting to force my human side to feel the bond.

Mate, he is mine. I want.

Shut up Ellia, I am not in the mood. You know all alphas are the same. I don't want this. I'm not a Luna.

I am. We have alpha blood in us, I can't help you refuse to accept it.

At the mention of my father, I blocked her out. Crazy female, all wolves knew about was fighting and mates, nothing else matters to them.

Not to mention this was only the second time I'd heard from her in almost a year. I know the incident did a number on her, but I didn't expect her to hide from me like this.

I sighed, and I reached for him.

He backed away slowly and said, "I won't force you to do anything... just know, I can't stay away. I need you... my luna."

Luna

The word that made my skin crawl, my alpha blood boil. I was NOT like her. I would never be like her.

I nodded and said, "I can't be a Luna... I'm just Evan," and with that, I ran. I ran as fast as my slender, 6'1" build would take me.

"Evan!" I heard behind me, but I kept running.

I can't be a Luna. I won't. I won't be like her.

When I finally stopped running, my heart began to ache. I had let my human body feel the mate bond. The tears began to stream down my face, but I knew I could never turn back. I couldn't be a Luna. I couldn't be mated to an alpha. The more I cried, the more I prayed that Savarino Alessi would never find me, because if he did, I knew I'd never be able to run like that again.