End of a Chapter

Author's note: From the youtube video above, you can see that this chapter is inspired from the video's image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lilly! Your wallet!"

Beneath the heavy raindrops and splashes of water from the passing cars, Lilly turned around to face Madonna, her best friend since grade school. They had a simple dinner at Manang Belin's kalenderya earlier that night before Lilly traveled to the city for the fast-approaching school's second semester.

Her cold hands softly brushed against the ebony-rounded wallet her father gifted her three years ago. It was when she turned 18.

"Well, that was scary. The sun might appear before I could even reach my apartment."

Their synchronized laughs lingered around.

"Just like the old days, Lil. You're still—"

Lilly stopped Madonna before she could even finish her sentence.

"I get it. Now get lost," Lil jokingly rolled her eyes before they laughed again. She reached for Madonna's delicate arm and slightly pinched it. "Eat a lot and get well soon, Alright? I'll visit again whenever I have time."

Madonna, having piles of things to say and failing to tell during their dinner, decided to keep it in her. Instead, she raised her lips for a smile without her teeth showing and nodded.

Lilly gently tapped her shoulder in response.

"Take care, Mad!"

They finally parted ways, walking in the opposite direction. Before Lilly could enter the train, a short-timed Chinese flute ringtone made her see the name of Madonna popping through her phone screen. The screen notification showed Madonna's text message.

"Goodnight, Lilly. See you around:)"

On another rainy night, Lilly watched the view of the city behind her apartment window with Fur, her cat. Lilly heaved a long sigh after a warm liquid fell from her misty eyes, remembering the night in front of Manang Belen's kalenderya where she took a glimpse of Madonna for the last time, the night she wasn't aware would be her best friend's goodbye, her best friend's end of a chapter.