𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ᅳ 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐝

ᅳ 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐝 ❆☃          

Christmas Eve was here and Hallie's kitchen was chaosᅳ but in a good way

Christmas Eve was here and Hallie's kitchen was chaosᅳ but in a good way. Various smells lingered in the kitchen and wafted through the entire house. As always when one of the O'Connell's cooked for a party, there was enough food for everyone. They could probably even feed some of the hotel guests with it.

In addition to a roast that was still in the oven, there were mashed potatoes, noodles for the kids, veggies, three different salads, a Christmas cake and Serena's famous apple strudel. Even though Hallie was the baking talent of the family, Serena also had a talent for bakingᅳ but unlike Hallie, she didn't want to do it professionally.

"I think we made way too much again", Serena said with a grin after she refilled her wine glass and handed Hallie one too. "We have food for the next three days."

"Is that something new?" Hallie asked, amused.

She took the glass and allowed herself to relax for a moment. Sighing contentedly, she leaned against the kitchen island and took a sip. "You haven't made a snarky comment all day. So as far as Happy and I are concerned, thanks for that."

The brunette's gaze was slightly lowered as she bit her bottom lip thoughtfully, whereupon Serena stood next to her sister and rolled her head back with a sigh. "Blake forbade me to say anything stupid today", she admitted with a slight smirk, eliciting a laugh from Hallie.

"Oh, so I have to thank Blake and not you", she stated, gently nudging Serena's shoulder. "But I know you would still say something no matter what Blake says. So, thank you."

"You know, I'm just the best sister", the black-haired woman sighed overly theatrically, her grin growing even wider before her expression became more serious. "To be honest, I was just worried. You know I never had a problem with Happy, on the contrary. He was perfect for you and you for him. That's why I was so angry when he just left. What if he does that again, Hallie?"

Silence filled the room as Hallie tried not to think too hard about Serena's words. If she started to doubt now, it would only ruin things. And she didn't want that.

"It won't, he promised me", the brunette said, looking at her sister after she took a small sip of her wine. "And I believe him. Please don't make it so hard for him, Serena."

The elder O'Connell let out a whine. "Okay, I'll try my best. If you're sure, then so be it. And as long as you're happy, so am I."

"I amᅳ I'm happier than I've been in a long time",  Hallie assured, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

"Hi girls!" Mia O'Connell scurried into the kitchen, a baking dish in her hands and her granddaughter, Serena's youngest daughter, with her. "I have the fried potatoes, they are still hot!"

"Oh, perfect!" Grinning, Hallie grabbed the baking dish, lifted the aluminum foil, and let the smell of the fried potatoes fill her nostrils. "I can't wait to eat them!"