Seventeen, Clean Slate

( real life  )━━━━━━━༺♡༻━━━━━━━

( real life )
━━━━━━━༺♡༻━━━━━━━

"I AIN'T mean to scare you," Isis said apologetically as Maeby leaned down to pick up her phone. They had both gotten the strangest sense of deja vu.

Maeby shook her head, trying to collect her thoughts. What was Ice doing here? How did she get here? Was she here to yell at her? Scream at her? Fight her? Tell her to fuck off?

The possibilities were endless.

"It's okay...it's just how are you here?"

"Your mom called me," Isis revealed. She looked at Maeby, really taking her in. Even in her clearly tired state Maeby was pretty, she had always been pretty been to her.

That's what her mother had been acting all secretive about.

"I talked to her," Isis continued when Maeby didn't respond. "And she said she thinks we should talk." It had taken a lot for Isis to make her mind up about flying out to talk to Maeby. She was used to ghosting and ignoring people all of the time, giving up on any idea of a relationship once things even seemed remotely bad. Being on the receiving end of things had opened her eyes to a lot. Most of the time wondered if Maeby had even really cared when she called herself cutting her off. Kim's call had changed that.

Despite the pit in her stomach, Maeby knew this had to happen. This conversation had to be the key to her getting peace of mind.

"Let's talk."

...

AFTER MAEBY HAD finally been able to form a sentence in Isis' presence and offered her something to drink, the two girls sat at the table in her room. Maeby knew it was up to her to start the conversation, she owed that much to Isis and so much more. Even after the way she had treated her, Isis had still flown all the way out here to see her even when she didn't deserve it.

Maeby took a deep breath, "I want to say I'm sorry. And I don't know if you're the type of person who hates or loves to hear the word but I really am sorry. I just felt like I brought so much drama into your life in the short time we had known each other, y'know? From the hotel, to the Shaderoom, to Ophelia, it all sucked and I'm sorry for all of it. You didn't deserve that at all."

Isis could tell Maeby was being sincere, and she wasn't typically the type to accept apologies. It took one time for someone to do wrong by her for her to remove herself from that person.

Since she wasn't used to accepting apologies she wasn't even really sure of what to say. She kept it simple. "Thank you."

Maeby wasn't sure what kind of response she had been expecting but it wasn't that. But, she hoped it was the start.

"I appreciate it, really," Isis said softly. "Look, I'm gonna keep it real with you Maeby, but I genuinely did like you. Like, like you, like you. Deadass. And I thought you liked me too? So I don't know if this was all a joke that went to far for you but just be real with me. What is it? Like, what is this?" Isis gestured to the space between them.

"Things did go to far," Maeby admitted. "But the whole crushing on you thing? Of course I tweeted it as a joke at first but when I got to know you, I liked it. I liked you."

"Then why go ghost on me? The rest of the world I can I understand, social media gets crazy I get it, but damn. Even when it came to Ophelia I had your back. People were on my ass too."

"I know! I thought by me distancing myself from you people would eventually forget about it and leave both of us, primarily you alone," Maeby tried to reason, hoping Isis would understand her point of view.

"I know it's a meme and everyone thinks North is gonna take over our family and expose Lovey's dirty laundry-which is likely-but the whole "Kardashian's Curse" thing sucks," Maeby ranted.

"I've seen the things people have said about my mom and my dad, about my family, I see and hear them everyday and have my entire life. As much as I should be used to it, once I saw how everything with Ophelia had unfolded after knowing her for years...I didn't want things between us to end like that."

Isis nodded, running a hand through her ginger hair. She had little sisters, her father had been involved in music and was very protective over his daughters. She could understand the need to protect, she even found herself shielding her family away from social media and keeping them far away from her career. Business and family rarely mix.

"I get it," Maeby let out a sigh of relief from the girls words before they both fell back into a silence. It wasn't as tension filled as the previous silence between them.

"So...what now?" Isis asked after a minute or so. Where did they go from here?

"I'm thinking...we start over," Maeby propositioned. "Seriously, there's been so many things that have stopped us from just...enjoying each other's company. Including me being difficult. I want to start on a clean slate. With you, my mom, my family, my audience. Hell, I even want to be done with the Ophelia situation. I want to fix a lot of things, does that make sense?"

"Yeah, it does," Isis agreed. "So what exactly does this clean slate mean for us? You done ghosting me?" She teased.

"Yes," Maeby laughed. "Yes, I am done ghosting you Ms Ice Spice. And I want things to go back to the way they were, when we were first hanging out. Let's get lunch, chill in the studio, hit up the clubs, whatever you want to do! I'm down for it...if you are?"

Isis pretended to think about it before accepting Maeby's words.

"I am."

fin.