Chapter 20

AZRA

"Where the hell is she?" An impatient Spike asked from my side. We waited long enough. She wasn't coming.

I stared at the light realms crumbling border a second longer, hoping she would choose to come with us if only so I can see her face.

"She's not coming. Let's go." I gripped Spikes arm and jumped us to a back ally near Millard's inn in the realm between. No high born fae resided in this area. This part of the realm between was filled with low born fae. Half of which make a honest living through bars and shops. The other half take to the streets begging or selling themselves just for a meal, just to survive. This particular street was lined with bars, inns and brothels. I was suddenly glad Aurora wasn't here. Her beauty would stick out like a sore thumb, I pitied the poor soul who would dare try anything with her, that girl can defend herself better than anyone.

"You scope out the back, I'll take the front." I instructed Spike as we round the corner in the direction of the Inn.

"Hello boys!" Called a woman leaning against the wall of a brothel with two other women. "can I interest you in some fun." She taunted lifting the hem of her skirt. I ignored her but I heard a gaggle of laughs from behind when Spike turned to them and winked. I shook my head.

"We get in and out. If shit goes south and someone finds out we were there we kill them all and go. This can't get back to the king."

"Agreed." Spike said. "There it is." He nodded to a shabby looking inn hidden into the side of an alley way and we both split. I opted for a less flashy outfit today, trousers, a black shirt and a cloak with a hood so I could concealed my identity as best as possible. I pulled my hood up peering into the window of the Inn. The place was small and cramped with people. Great. The door ringed as I entered alerting the staff of a newcomer. A woman greeted me, wiping her hands on her apron and flinging a towel over her shoulder.

"What can I get you?" She asked pleasantly enough.

"A room." I said dropping a bag of coins into her hand.

"This is too much" she offered it back.

"Keep it." I said pulling my hood over my head. "I'd appreciate the discretion" she nodded and smiled before turning to fetch a key. If I've learned anything about these sorts of places it that if you offer enough money they'd do just about anything. If anything to keep you coming back and spending more money.

"Room 5. Up the stairs, down the hall, second door on the left. Should be easy enough to find the place is small."

I removed another bag of coins from my pocket. Weighing it in my hand. The woman's eyes grew wide.

"I need a meeting room, somewhere discreet, you have anything?" I asked.

"We do, but it's currently occupied." She answered eyes still on the bag.

"I can wait." I said.

"Perfect. I'll let you know when the room becomes free." She said with glee.

"Which floor?" I further asked.

"It's on our top floor. The biggest room we have."

"You get a lot of people coming through these parts for business meetings?"

"Not as often as you'd think. Most well off people tend to avoid these areas" she replied with an awkward smile. "The guys currently occupying the room look like some real fancy folk. They more or less threatened me when I told them the cost of the room. Think they expected it for free."  She scoffed.