A Lesson in Dating

Gavin fiddled with the cuff of his shirt as he looked in the mirror wondering if it was the right choice. It was red. A dark crimson shade. Not his usual choice, and not something he wore very often, but it was one of the few dress shirts he owned. His scarred nose wrinkled as he turned this way and that, buttoning the collar to the top and tucking it in. He untucked it with a sigh before tucking it again and raising his arms to loosen the waist a little. Is it too much? This is only a pretend date to get him started...He wasn't sure where Nines was taking him, so it made sense to dress up just in case. He still wasn't sure as he ran a hand through his hair, which was already escaping the gel he'd put in earlier, as it always did.

Hearing a small trill and a thud, he looked across at the small vanity by the wall, smiling at the familiar sight of fluffy, golden fur and big green eyes. The small cat sat primly, back straight, front paws together, and fluffed tail coiled around its feet. For once, the tubes of moisturiser and bottles of cologne escaped its wrath and remained standing in a neat row along the back. Gavin clicked his tongue softly as he walked over and tickled its small head, prompting the fluffy menace to stand, meowing for attention.

"What do you think? Too much?" He wasn't sure if the next mewl was an argument or agreement. The cat padded back and forth, accepting long strokes along its back and tickles around its ears until the front door rang, prompting them both to stop and look. "Here we go..." His chest leapt again, sending nausea coiling through his insides. This isn't even a real date! He wasn't sure if that made it better or worse.

As he hurried through, he checked that everything was in order. He'd cleaned after getting home that afternoon, having worked a half day to cover Miller's vacation. The small kitchenette was clean and tidy, with all the usual plates and cutlery put away in the cupboard and drawers. In the living area, the usual books and magazines had been neatly stacked or returned to the small bookcase, the coffee table had been cleaned and dusted, and the floor had been vacuumed. His jackets were hung on the stand by the door and his shoes were lined up against the wall. He'd even cleaned his bedroom and bathroom, though he knew Nines wouldn't see those.

"Hey, come on in, I'm almost ready," Gavin greeted as he pulled the door open and did his best not to stare too much. Nines didn't look much different from a normal workday. His hair was in the same neat style, with that dumb little curl over his left eye, and he was dressed in black. The difference was he'd exchanged the usual high-collared shirt for a softer cashmere top with a rollneck. It clung to his body beneath his blazer, resting tight over his abs and pecs. Nines gave the smallest of smiles as he stepped inside and held out a bouquet of red roses, which Gavin took with surprise. "Oh, you already researched gifts! You usually don't bring flowers for guys, but girls love that shit."

"I'll keep that in mind. Here, I also brought these," Nines added in his usual smooth tone as he pulled a colourful little packet from his inner pocket. He barely needed to shake it once before the sound of pattering paws joined them. Gavin huffed fondly as he watched his cat approach with caution, green eyes thinning to assess the newcomer. Unlike humans, there was no scent to pick up to get a feel for this being. Still cradling the roses against his chest, Gavin led the way into the small kitchen. He didn't actually have a vase, which would probably be a problem.

"Smooth, very smooth," he chuckled as he set the flowers down and opened one of the higher cupboards to search through his glasses. He didn't have too many, but there was a heavy, two pint tankard somewhere. A novelty item he'd picked up somewhere in college. He never drank out of it, and had always considered it a bit of a waste.

"It's a commonly known fact that a way to a man's heart is through his feline." Gavin snorted as he grabbed the heavy glass down by the handle and filled it halfway. It was the only glass he thought would even come close to holding the roses without falling over. Glancing down at his cat, he was pleased to see that Nines had been accepted. The cat was currently resting its small paws on his knee, big eyes longingly gazing at the packet in his hand.