Prologue

Everything had been going well in the resistance against the Kraang; up until five years ago, when, of course, everything went wrong.

It was a simple invasion. They were meant to get in and get out.

Leonardo only remembered pain ripping through his arm at that moment. There was red everywhere and he couldn't breathe. Something was wrong with his chest. His lungs screamed at every inhale and he kept coughing up red. It made his lungs spasm in agony and his head throb. He couldn't feel his arm.

His older brother towered over him, kneeling down and speaking to him, large hands shaking as he frantically gathered the injured red-eared slider mutant into his arms. Leo was pretty sure it was the last time he ever felt Raph's scales on his own. It was the last time he was held close with such a gentle nature in those huge arms. He felt warm despite the cold coursing through his veins. It brought him such comfort despite the fear. What Leo wouldn't give to feel those arms again.

"I got'cha, Leo," Raph's voice finally slipped into Leo's ears. "I got'cha, big bro's got'cha. He's gonna bring you to Dee and fix you right up, good as new. Just gotta keep your eyes open."

It was hard.

"Keep pushin', Leo."

He was.

"Raphie's got you..."

He knew.

"Just hold on for us, hold on, big guy."

He would.

"I know it hurts, just a lil longer..."

It did... it did. So, so bad.

Leo's ears rang as Raph let out a shout of shocked surprise, arms shaking. He wasn't a medic. Leo knew that. And as he lay in his big brother's arms, twitching and gasping desperately for air, ears ringing and vision blurring, the last thing he heard from his big brother was an enraged snarl full of protectiveness, and then the world faded to darkness.

"....e....o? C.....o...u.....ea....r.....e? L....o...? ...e.....o..... Leo!"

Everything burst into focus. His ears were ringing. His head hurt and his arm hurt and his lungs hurt and he wanted to cry. Thirty-five years old, leading a resistance, and he wanted to cry like a child.

"Leo! Leo, can you hear me?" That wasn't Raph.

His golden, hazy eyes drifted up, coming face-to-face with his twin. Donatello's expression was firm and focused, bandages in his hands as Leo felt something tight wrap around his.. kind of arm? Where was it? It hurt. Stop touching it, you bitch.

"Leo, stop squirming, you'll injure yourself further," Donnie chastised with a huff in his voice." You lost your arm and you have several broken ribs, some of which have pierced your lungs- Casey Jones Junior, no, you are not coming inside."

Casey Jones... he almost forgot. Poor kid lost his mother in another battle a year or so ago. He didn't remember the exact date. He wanted to, but the memory wouldn't come to him.

"But I want to see Master Leonardo!" A young voice peeked in from the doorway of the medbay, vision obscured by the glass door. His shadow was visible - poor kid was only ten. Leo didn't want him to see him like this, but he couldn't lie and say he didn't want the comfort.

"Casey, you can see him later. He's not ready for visitors yet." Donnie's way of saying that Leo wasn't stable.

"He needs someone to hold his hand while you help him! Pleaseeee? I won't get in the way! Promise!" Casey's way of saying that he wasn't taking no for an answer. Leo felt himself smile. Kid was just like his mother.