One Christmas Eve

It was Christmas Eve and a winter chill filled the air. Flakes of snow flitted through the sky. Whit's End was festively decorated in honor of the holiday. Christmas lights adorned the exterior of the establishment casting a white glow along the old Victorian building. A Nativity set was displayed on the snow-covered lawn, reminding everyone who saw it of the true meaning of Christmas. Garlands outlined each window and a beautiful Christmas wreath with a bright red bow, pinecones, and twinkling lights was hanging from the front door.

Inside the building, the sound of a record of Christmas songs and carols playing in the background was accompanied by hearty laughter and joyful conversion. Everyone was having an amazing time spending the holiday with cherished family and friends as well as enjoying good food, activities, and music. At that moment the bell above the door tinkled announcing the arrival of more guests.

"Eugene, Katrina, Buck welcome. Merry Christmas to you all," Whit offered a cheerful greeting to the Meltsner family.

"Greetings and felicitations of the season to you as well Mr. Whittaker," Eugene responded.

"Merry Christmas Whit," Katrina added.

"Merry Christmas Meltsner family!" Wooton and Penny exclaimed together in unison from across the room.

"We would come over to say hello but we are currently..." Wooton wrapped his arm across his back and planted it on the game mat. "engaged in an intense battle of Twister."

"We can see that," Katrina remarked, as she, along with the rest of her family and Whit, looked at the couple playing on the multicolored polka dot mat — their bodies contorted in every which way.

"How was the drive?" Whit asked.

"Somewhat long" Katrina answered Whit. "Traffic was heavy and it was snowing most of the way. But we passed the time happily."

"Yeah, we told stories and sang Christmas songs," Buck elaborated.

"Sounds like a new fond memory."

"Yes, it was," Katrina remarked.

"Indeed. We've made many wonderful memories during our time living in Baltimore. In fact, the period we've spent there has been instrumental in bringing us closer as a family so to speak" Eugene said as he placed a hand on Buck's shoulder.

"That's wonderful to hear" Whit had a gentle smile on his face as he said these words, so happy and touched to hear this news.

"We are beyond blessed," Katrina said.

"Yes, it is apparent moving to Baltimore was the right decision but we are also thankful to be here tonight." Eugene's eyes scanned the cheery room and all the familiar faces. "Your absence and that of our friends here in Odyssey has been deeply felt."

"And we've sorely missed you all as well and are so grateful you were able to join us."

"I love how you decorated Whit's End. This place is always nice year round but come Christmas time it's...I don't know... it's like Christmas wrapped up in an old house" Buck commented, looking around the room as he did so. The inside of the building was just as festive as the outside as a large Balsam Fir stood in the corner of the front room, gorgeously decorated. Lights were hung throughout the room and a garland was hung across the front of the shop counter as well as along the staircase banister. Poinsettias, candles, and mistletoe were also present throughout the room.

"Why thank you, Buck. We try our best around here to capture the wonder and spirit of the holidays. It was actually Connie who came up with the design." Whit picked up a tray full of hot chocolate from the counter and held it out toward the family. "Would you like some hot chocolate? I just made it. Or perhaps some hot cider?"