Life is stranger than fiction

For them, he was The One. Always the one who should be responsible for every actions made inside the house. He should be the one who will sacrifice himself for them, the one who'll make them proud, one who will take care of his siblings, the one who will be relied upon, and the one who will meet his parents' expectation. Well, he doesn't want to be that one. What he wanted was to live his life in his own way – free from responsibilities and obligations imposed to him by his parents. He simply wanted a life where his actions will never merit regret in his life. He wants to learn thing from his own experiences.

            He was born as Michael Abraham Sablay to a couple who had just got together. He was the fruit of their illegitimate affair and was the topic of several arguments during his early life. His first name came from the Western name of his father and the second name came from his father’s brother who died at an early age. As a child, his parents were always having trouble in their relationship because of issues that are made by close relatives. Close relatives were rather envious of Michael because of the fact that Michael's grandfather, Angelito Sr., chose Michael over their sons and daughters. they try all their lives making a living hell for his parents and the child. Though he should have not been involved in their feuds, Michael was always being used as an excuse for his close relatives to fight his parents. His parents can't do anything but to be bullied since they were poor and barely had money on their pockets to sustain their child.

            The baby's father, Miguel, was a fresh graduate and was helped by his wealthy sister to finish his studies as an able seaman. He, Miguel, grew up from very poor family way up in the northern part of the Philippines and was isolated from urban development. His childhood friends were his relatives and all that he can see are vast fields of corn, tobacco, or rice. So, when the young man first set foot on the city, he was very confused of how to survive in such a densely populated place. He never knew that such a place was existing where places were crowded and technology was far advance than he can imagine. He never knew that the city would bring him close to his own wife.

            The baby's mother, Maria Teresa, was brought up by a middle class family. Though they had enough money to buy everything that they want, she was taught to be a diligent and down-to-earth person. She had all the love in the world and had plentiful blessings for her. She was raised in the city, unlike Miguel. She had always dreamt of having a place of her own. She was almost the exact opposite of Miguel. She met Miguel in their apartment building during college years in Quezon City. As the phrase suggests "opposites attract", they instantly fell for each other.

            When Michael was born, his parents barely had money to support their child since they had just started as a couple. They lived in the old house that was left by Teresa’s parents in the province. There were nights where Miguel would cry silently because he can’t afford normal milk for his firstborn. He would go to his elder sister and ask for money so that he can buy powdered milk once in a while but, most of the time, the child would drink rice broth and his mother’s breastmilk. Thankfully, Angelito Sr., Teresa’s father, would bring home expensive stuffs for the child and take care of the baby whenever he stays for a while. Because of the things Angelito gave to the child, the couple was indebted with him so much that the Angelito’s other children was growing envious of the child.

Michael was provided an education at such an early age. He began taking nursery at the age of three. Though he can cope up with other students academically, he was seen to be having a hard time of enjoying studying. His parents felt pity towards him and let him just stay there as an informal student. His tuition fee was covered by his grandfather since it was Angelito’s idea of letting him go to school and make some friends. Though Angelito believed that the child will make friends, Michael was raised in a chaotic environment and picked every unnecessary thing from it. He became a troublesome child and everyday he made sure every single child he played with will be crying home. Of course, those children’s parents were not ignoring that fact. Michael’s parents always received guests in their house complaining about the couple’s child bullying his other classmates. The couple could not do anything but to apologize for the child’s behavior. Because of the child’s troublesome behavior, the couple decided to discipline him and straighten out his behavior. Every night, the neighborhood will hear the sound of a child begging for mercy as his father whipped him.