Chapter 21

AURORA

My stomach whirled as the ground beneath my feet changed from creaky wooden floorboards to smooth black marble. Shadows retreated revealing Azra had brought us to his home in Darkmoore. Azra still had me in a death grip and Spike took a few steps back clutching his bloody nose.

"Get the hell off me" I protested. "Let me go" I struggled. My magic seething beneath my skin. My whole body was glowing, I must of felt like fire, how was he not burning.

"Give it a rest love." Spike said wiping blood from his now heeled nose.

I seethed. The chains of my magic loosening, just a little. Azra's shadows recoiled. I shrugged him off. He stepped back, brows furrowed, looking down at me like I just ruined his day.

"Where is he?" He asked. A muscle twitched in his jaw.

"Where's who?" I tilted my head a small smile on my lips. I had Callahan detain Melroy who was currently interrogating him for more information. I'll be damned if he got to him first.

"Don't play dumb with me." He stepped towards me but halted when my light flowed around me like a protective wave. The crease between his brows deepened, an emotion I couldn't put my finger on briefly crossed his face. "Where. Is. He?" He ground out.

I grinned up at him. "Don't worry about it." I shrugged a shoulder.

Azra glared at me. His shadows began swirling around his head. I didn't back down from his intense stare like many others probably did.

"You took my advice, I see" his expression softened, his shadows glided through the air between us on a phantom wind, and stroked the barrier of the wall of my magic that held strong without me realising it. The touch of his magic against mine sent a chill down my spine. It felt wrong, and yet my magic seemed to react to his. Like a friend greeting a friend.

"Stop that." I spat and willed my rather reluctant magic to snap at his, sending his recoiling back into the shadows.

He huffed a laugh. The door behind us swung open.
"So are you two going to tell me what happened or what—" Carmen froze when she noticed me. Her eyes darting between the boys.

Her shoulders slumped. "I'm guessing things didn't go to plan?"

"You could say that." Spike replied. "Aurora here thought I'd be a good idea to impersonate our friend Melroy"

Carmen raised a brow and released a small laugh. "You did!" She looked at me like it was the most exciting things she'd seen all day.

"She's got a death wish." Azra said his icy eyes still on me.

"We'll come on then. Spill. What happened." Carmen plonked down on a sofa, arms sprawled along the back awaiting our response.