Remember Me Now

My eyes fluttered open and all i could see was a bright light. 'So this is what its like to die. Barely able to breathe and in immense pain'. My whole body felt like it stepped on a Lego.

My eyes were starting to adjust and i was starting to see a shape coming from beside me.

Without thinking of the consequences I threw a punch out to the side of me.

"Catrina?" said a muffled voice next to me. I looked over and screamed.

He was huge. About 6 foot and super muscled. He had a trail of blood going from his eyebrow to his lip.

I went to step out of bed, but that was a bad decision. I felt dizzy and laid back still keeping my hands up.

"You're awake!," the man said nearly jumping. He went to reach for me and I just barely holding back the urge to hit him again. Instead I grabbed the bruise already forming on his face.

I brought him closer until he was about an inch from my face. "Unless you want the other side to match, you're going to back the fuck up," I said surprised at the harsh tone my voice took on.

"Catrina," he said backing up. "It's me, David." He kept backing up until he was out of striking range.

I finally took a look around and realized I was in a hospital. There was an IV in my arm, an tubes were everywhere.

"What's going on?" That was the only thing going through my head. Then remembering that I had no idea who the man next to me was, I asked, "who are you?"

It looked as though someone had punched him in the gut. He looked a bit disbelieving, but the genuine confusion must have been showing, because he quickly said, "You don't remember me at all." It wasn't a question; it was a statement.

He took a deep breath and answered me finally, "My name is David. I've been your fighting partner for the last 5 months. Well I was your fighting partner," he ended getting very quiet. Just after he finished doctors came pouring into the room.

"What is the date," the first doctor asked. I thought about it.

"Umm... Like November somethingth."

That David dude looked like he was going to die.

The doctor looked down at me. "Are you sure," he asked looking scared, as if he really wanted my answer to change.

I felt scared for the first time I could remember. "Wha-What is the date," I asked scared for his answer.

He looked down at his feet before looking to David. David came over an said, "It's June 17th."

I looked down to see a long scar running the length of my arm.

I mumbled t myself in a sarcastic tone, "Happy fucking birthday!"