The start of Thomas Snow and the Introduction of Newt Gray

Thomas lent up against his desk, shirtless, frowning down at the old, battered, blacked bricked floor. A little cockroach scurried on past, under a metal filing cabinet. Thomas started for a second, before looking back down to the object in his hands. His fathers watch.

Thomas quickly scuttled to wash him self in the shower, catching his eyes in the reflection every so often. After he cleaned him self up, he looked around his compacted wooden wardrobe for his shirt. Swiftly placing a hanger back, he closes the doors shut shouting a name.

"Teresa! Teresa where's the shirt?" Thomas rushes through the house, arriving in the dull living room to see his grandmother singing to the radio.

"It's beautiful, Grandma'am, a little sharp today.." Thomas places his hand on her upper arm, squeezing gently.

"Oh..-"Have you seen Teresa with my father's dress shirt?" Thomas asks her softly, before there was a sudden bang of the front door closing.

"Thomas!-"Teresa?" Thomas jumps up, going towards the girl.

"I'm sorry, I know I'm a little late, but look, I did it. Or-.. something. I think it's really gorgeous." Teresa holds the shirt by the hanger, showing Thomas the white collared shirt with stripes running down from the collar. Thomas grips the bottom of the shirt, pressing his lips together before looking back up at his cousin.

"It's beautiful," Thomas huffs, taking the shirt from Teresa's hands.

"Best cousin ever, tell me everything. " He smiles at her, taking the shirt off the hanger and sliding it on.

"Where do I start? I told Billie at work, that she needed to bleach her curtains, and I slipped the shirt in when I did it," Teresa gestures her hands, looking back at Thomas every so often while she walked into the kitchen.

"The buttons I made-"From the bathroom tile?" Thomas interrupts her, smiling as he buttons up the shirt. Teresa opens up the small fridge to show Thomas,

"Oh, can you find the potatoes? I boiled them, and you should really eat something today.." Teresa asks pleadingly, "Save them for Grandma'am.." Thomas leans up against the door frame, telling her softly. Teresa smiles again, closing the fridge. She walks away, stroking his cheek as she walks past.

"You look so handsome! Grandma'am! Come see! Thomas Snow, Future President of Panem, we solute you." Teresa teased, putting Thomas's suit vest on him.

"Just a moment," Grandma'am placed a red rose into the vest pocket. "I can grow many more."

"What will you spend the prize money on? A new dress? Chocolate?" Thomas asked, "We'll be able to pay the rent Teresa."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas enters the marble academy,

"Well Thomas Snow." A feminine voice says behind him, causing Thomas to turn around.

"Brenda," Thomas smiles at the familiar girl, letting her hook her arm with his.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas places his bag down next to his seat, seeing Minho rush to the seat next to him.

"Hey listen, I know you had high hopes for this, but there is no prize today. Not anymore." Minho whispered to the man,

"I'm so sorry-"What?" Thomas asked in disgust and disbelief, for turning his head to Ava Paige giggling on the podium.

"How tantalizing to see your shining young faces on this day.. I'm Doctor Ava Paige, your humble head game maker in charge of the war department and all it's concerns.. I've broken free of my laboratory today to examine you, the leaders of the next generation. I won't be around forever y'know. Now I introduce the game maker, Director Janson." Ava giggles during her little speech, gesturing over to Janson. All the students peer back, to see Janson drinking from a small alcohol bottle.

"Select students. Faculty, and of course Dr Ava Paige. I have summoned you here today for the annual 10th reaping ceremony, in which we choose 2 children from each district, to throw in the capitol arena to fight to death in the hunger games." Janson explained as he walked down the aisle of students.

"Still can't believe they allow him to speak in public.." Brenda whispers over to Thomas.

"Our own 24 top prospects, however, I'm here to tell you there has been a change this year. A final assignment to prove your worth. The prize will no longer be determined by who has the top grades, but who is the best mentor in the hunger games. Oh, I must tell you, anyone caught cheating to give there tribute an unfair advantage, well- will not have a future at all." Janson chuckles as he looks at the crowd. Suddenly, there was a loud music playing.

"Oh! Let the reaping ceremony begin. District 1.." Janson looks down on to a piece of paper, reading out the names.

"Boy goes to.. Lydia Cardew, Girl goes to.. Monte. District 2! Biy goes to.. Minho Park."

"You've got the pick of the litter." Thomas tells Minho, looking over to his friend.

"You forget. I'm apart of that litter." Minho stutters.

"12! Girl, Olivia green. Boy, he belongs to Thomas Snow."

--------------------------------------------------------------
"Newt Gray Baird!" The announcer calls out to the district, the crowd gasping behind them to Newt. Newt forces himself to walk out down the aisle of the district.

"Sing your way out of this one Newtie Gray.." A ginger called Mayfair chuckles to herself, smiling at the picked tribute.

--------------------------------------------------------------
The students look up on the screen, to see a blonde boy walking down in a white long dress shirt, with a floral corset along with matching rainbow pants.

"What is that outfit? Is he some sort of clown?" A girl laughs, making Thomas look back up at the screen.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Newt Gray, I didn't know, I didn't know. I'm sorry." Ben apologies as the boy walks to the stage, but Newt doesn't bat him an eye. Newt takes a small spotted snake from his pocket and hides it with one hand behind his back, still walking to the stage. Mayfair chuckles again as Newt walks past. Swiftly Newt pulls at the back of her dress, letting the snake slide down her back, making the girl scream and the crowd gasp.

"Help her! Help her!" The announcer yells, pointing the guards at Mayfair. Newt makes it to the stage, smiling at him before being slapped and thrown to the ground by the man. The man tries to tug at Newts arm, before being carried away by guards. Another guard walks over to Newt, before Newt halts them.

"Give me a minute boys."