Chapter One

I hummed as I walked down the street, the cold air seeping in through my jacket. The overhead lights flickered as I passed them by, blocking my view of the night sky. I could hear the leaves rustling in the breeze as I took out my earbuds, and for a moment, just a moment, the world was silent. I sighed in awe, disrupting the moment. In front of me was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. The sun was nearly gone, painting the sky pink and gold with the echoes of its light as the endless galaxy emerged above it, the smattering of stars shining bright. And there was the Pizzaplex too I guess.

    I broke out of the trance and decided to head inside lest I lose track of time and end up late for work. I scanned my pass at the sensor next to the door and it opened with a click. I didn't have time to take in the sights of childhood nostalgia and germs, so I wove through the crowd of people to get to the daycare. On my way, I bumped into two workers who seemed to be arguing.

    "You can't do this- your shift isn't even over!" A man wearing a managers uniform hissed, trying desperately to avoid drawing the attention of others. He looked vaguely familiar.

    "I don't give a damn, I've dealt with this stupid ass condescending shit for two weeks too long," a brunette girl yelled to him. I feel like I've met her?

    "I-What? You've only worked here for two weeks," said the manager in confusion.

    "Exactly," said the girl, pushing her way past him. He grabbed her wrist, holding her back. "I've dealt with that annoying, loud mouth, clean freak animatronic for too fucking long and I was willing to stay for the paycheck but then-" she swung her arm, now free from his grasp. "Then, you asked me to clean that fucker! You said it'd be fine, you said it'd be just like every other time, but you knew what he was gonna do. That bitch nearly broke my fucking neck thanks to you and the shithole that is this place."

    "Okay I get it- quiet down!"

    "No," she said, glaring at him. Their feud had grabbed some other people's attention, on top of my own. "I'm leaving and you can't stop me." She turned her back to him and bumped her shoulder against mine, hard. She glanced back at me, ever so slightly. "A word of advice? This place is going to the ground. Get out while you still can." With that, she was gone.

    Everyone immediately went back to their usual hustle and bustle as if nothing had happened, so I guess I should too. I pushed the experience out of my mind and ascended the stairs to the daycare. I scanned my pass and pushed the doors open, walked down the hall, and stared at the room I'd arrived in, mainly the slide.

    "Ah, fuck it," I muttered. I gripped my bag and slid into fun. "Haha! No regrets!" I stood, attempted to make my way through the ball pit, unfortunately my legs betrayed me. I fell and immediately gave up, deciding it'd be best to just lay there for a minute.

    "OH HOOHOOHOO," an enthusiastic voice yelled from somewhere above me, shortly after the ball pit shifted. Someone was in here with me. "IS SOMEONE HERE? A NEW FRIEND?" The balls moved around as the unknown person searched.

    "Grpgh," I grunted, buried beneath the balls. "Imoverhere."

    "Oh! HELLO THERE-" I was lifted from the pit and came face to face with Sundrop, the daycare attendant I'd be working with. "NEW FRIEND? What are you doing here so late? Where are your parents? Is this a sleepover? I LOVE sleep overs!" He set me down on the nice hard ground next to the ball pit. "Are you okay there little one? Are you hurt?"

    "Hm? Oh I'm fine," I said with a smile. "I'm the new technician by the way!"

    "OH! YOU'RE A STAFF MEMBER! I'm so very sorry, I thought you were a child!" He said, shaking my hand. "I'm Sundrop, the Daycare attendant!"

    "It's nice to meet you! I'm sure we'll have tons of fun together!"

    "Oh yes, so much fun! But first-" he said, raising a finger. "We have to clean up!"

    "Right, we should start with the craft area," I said. "There's... so, so much glitter glue... so much."