An Ageing Despondency

2013.

Peering out his large office window, Marshall could sense the early signs of Spring. The sky; pale and flawless, had once again become home to the sun, which was radiating much needed warmth into the city of Kryesor. Marshall stifled an innocent smile as he anticipated the events brought with his favourite season – capering in the grass with his wife and devoting his hours to their so obvious affinity. At that moment he longed for the smell of her perfume, the aroma of her hair as it drifted in the wind – it was exactly four hours and thirty two minutes until Marshall could see her again.

A hollow cough from the other side of the room put an abrupt end to Marshall’s daydream, reminding him of the true motive for their assembly that day. He turned to face the spritely young man at the head of the table and pulled out a number of documents from a large manila folder – holding little knowledge as to why they had gathered under such unforeseen circumstances.  Marshall’s co-workers surrounded him, relaxing comfortably in their leather chairs. They too had copies of the papers and had been continuously skimming, looking somewhat surprised as they read through the heavy content.

‘Do tell us more about your discovery, Dr Stephan.’ Marshall announced, nodding his head rather dubiously at the awkward looking scientist. He was flicking his pen on the edge of the table, silently praying that the Doctor’s proposal would do more than manufacture a dent in the Government’s already sparse time and money.

Perhaps noticing the apprehension in the room, Dr Stephan clumsily shifted his weight and adjusted his tie.

‘As you may have read,’ he began ‘I have been experimenting with a particular ‘medical advancement’ over the last couple of years. This advancement, I believe, will change the shape of our futures – alter the perception of humanity as a whole.’

Dr Stephan disclosed a great deal of self confidence, a virtue of which helped settle the butterflies in Marshall’s stomach. He had grown slightly anxious, unaware of where Dr Stephan would be taking the presentation.

‘Gentlemen,’ The Doctor proclaimed ‘I believe I have found the miracle to eternal youth – to immortality.’

A wave of excitement flooded the room, with each man turning to look at his fellow politician. The statement placed before them was completely obscure, delving into the realm of the heavily dreamt of but never dared considered. For a few moments, the office was completely silent– no sound exhumed but the rhythmic beat of the analogue clock.

‘With this advancement you shall never age beyond 35. You will never wane to the dreaded point of impotence, a burden at the hands of society. Never afflict grief on your loved ones or debt on your sacred city, never lose the cherished virtue of a bright young future. You will, to put it simply, hold onto your youth forever.’

An aura of excitement encroached the meeting.   This finding was to change the experiences, day to day activities of people incessantly. It would fulfil the long for infinite youth – for a pilgrimage free of limitations and of constraint.

Marshall was ecstatic, conjuring an image of himself in 50 years time – as full of youth as he had ever been. He had realised within an instant that there was nothing more that he wanted, nothing that the world would benefit from so excessively. It was perfect.

Dr Stephan coughed delicately, breaking the silence between the men.

‘If I was to, say, instil the medication to people at birth, how would you feel about that?’