Chapter 1

Columns of fire rose to the heavens, and screams echoed off the hills. It was the worst thing that had ever happened. The end had come to Nepharia.

Queen Kiara held her baby close as she mourned. From the balcony, she could see her husband, King Kaelin still leading the remaining troops. But it was hopeless. She could see Levarian soldiers marching through the streets. Buildings crumbled into the flames as King Damian led his troops to the fallen palace gates.

Kaelin met him there.

He glowered at Damian. He would not let Nepharia fall. He couldn't. He had failed to protect his own kingdom, where he was native to. Now he had a chance to make things right. His sword ready, he stood before Damian.

And even if he didn't, Kiara and his daughter, his dear princess Evelyne, would have escaped. Nepharia would continue, even during this dark time. But he didn't want to think about that, so he focused on Damian.

His rival gazed down at the glaring King with a murderous look in his eyes. He seemed unimpressed. The firelight gave Damian's brown eyes a menacing red glow. He smiled playfully.

Behind Kaelin, the Nepharian soldiers trembled in fear. All people had heard of the strength of King Damian of Levaria. He showed no mercy, and he took what he wanted; he brought kingdoms down to ash and left lands desolate. Nobody had ever been able to withstand him.

Damian laughed. "Is this all you've got, Kaelin? I would think you'd learn from last time."

Kaelin gripped his sword. "I will not make the same mistake again! This is my home now. I couldn't save Callistia. But I will save Nepharia!"

"You're so naive," Damian said. "What makes you think you can beat me?"

The truth was...Kaelin knew he couldn't beat Damian. He just needed to buy time for Kiara and Evelyne to escape. Then Nepharia wouldn't fall. Its legacy would live on. And so would Callistia's. It would live on through Evelyne.

Kaelin looked into Damian's eyes. "I won't let you do this." He took a deep breath and then yelled, "For NEPHARIA!"

And he charged.

~*~

Meanwhile, in the palace, the Queen tried to quiet her baby's wails as soldiers stormed the halls.

"Evelyne," she whispered, "shhh...everything will be okay."

The baby continued to cry. Kiara sighed. Kaelin would soon come so that they would be able to escape together.

But she could hear the massacre outside. The cries of pain, and the wails of agony. She knew death waited on the doorstep. She had to get Evelyne to safety. The fate of Nepharia lay wrapped in her arms.

~*~

Kaelin slashed his blade. The advancing Levarian soldiers grew too numerous to handle. And all his men were falling fast. And soon, Kaelin stood alone before Damian.

"He's too strong," Kaelin thought. He was growing tired. He hoped that Kiara had gotten out already.

Damian lunged his sword forward. "Getting tired?" he mused.

"You wish," Kaelin huffed. And he swung his sword at Damian. He would fight as long as he needed. And if he died, at least Kiara would have gotten out safe.

Damian growled as Kaelin managed to cut his cheek. Blood dripped down to the ground. Damian then pinned Kaelin against a wall. He punched him in the jaw a few times, blood spewing from his jaws. Then he threw him to the ground, kicking his abdomen. Damian laughed as Kaelin groaned in pain.