CHAPTER 2

{I don't know who made the art above, but enjoy the story!}

As the two were making their way down to the fungeon, the light started to become dimmer and dimmer. It didn't bother Vanellope though, due to the fact that she was placed down there as punishment before the reset. However, Rancis was beginning to get a bit frightened of how dark the place was getting.

"Um, down here doesn't happen to have a light switch, does it?" he asked the princess nervously.

"Nahh," she replied. "You're not scared are ya, Fluggerbutter?" she asked with her hands on her hips, smiling at him.

"N-no," the male racer quickly said, blushing a bit.

His leader laughed a little at his reaction and continued going down the stairs. "Don't worry, it doesn't get darker than this."

At the bottom, the two candy racers were greeted by a large dull room. The walls were a deep shade of green, covered in some black stains and accompanied by a few hanging pictures of creepy clowns, and signs that marked, 'FUNGEON'. On both sides of the room, were several cells, made up of dark chocolate bars, and inside of them, dark chocolate chains. Further down, where the cells ended, had some brown cardboard boxes lying around in front of a large singular cell, with thicker bars. Unlike the others, this one was much bigger...and darker.

A gulp came from the male racer, as he looked around in slight fear. It was still bright enough to see, but the dark lighting gave the room an extremely eerie vibe.

"I've never been down here before," he spoke up, staying close to Vanellope's side, "It's so dark, and creepy,"

The president could have seen that the boy was uncomfortable, but she knew he would not admit it. She almost felt a little guilty for bringing him down here, but tried to lighten the mood a bit.

"Ah, I've gotten used to it," she said carefreely while walking into the room. "King Candy put me in here after he found out where I was staying."

Rancis' eyes widened. "He locked you up in here?"

Vanellope looked at her fellow racer. "Don't act so surprised, Rancis," she said, putting her hands in the sweater pockets. "It was obviously gonna happen anyway."

The racer then had a saddened expression on his face and looked down. She could have seen the guilt from the Turbo incident, beginning to engulf him again. The last thing she wanted was for her friend to remember that awful time which greatly impacted everybody. She then looked over to the back area and went to retrieve a broom.

"Anyway, you can start helping by sweeping out the cells,"

she said, while handing him the broom.

The boy stared at the small cells with an uncertain look, which the vanilla-themed racer noticed.

"You okay with that Rancis?" she asked with concern in her tone, "if you're uncomfortable with it, it's fi-"

"N-no, no," said Rancis, quickly taking the broom from her. "I can do it," he then made his way to the first one.

"You sure?" Vanellope asked. However, her male friend was already out of hearing range. "Huh," she then went to the back to move the boxes. 'Probably this wasn't a good idea,' she thought, 'Should have thought twice about making that execution joke. That's probably why he's so nervous down here.'

Meanwhile, Rancis opened the first cell gate and began sweeping the inside. A bit from the dust rose up to his nose, causing him to cough a bit, while fanning it away. As he started sweeping, he began to think about what Vanellope told him. 'Locked in the fungeon?' he thought. 'I didn't know he did that, Rancis sighed. Although I probably wouldn't have cared anyway back then, I still feel even worse after hearing about it now. Yeah, she may be right. I shouldn't be so surprised that she was punished like that, but I can't help but feel like it shouldn't have happened to her. The boy's thoughts ran as he continued sweeping each cell. 'I don't know why I'm suddenly feeling like this. Maybe it's because I changed ever since the reset. But I can't help it. What King Candy did to her for all those years felt wrong and just makes me really angry,' he sighed. 'I wish I can take back everything that happened before. I wish she didn't have to go through that.