Chapter 1 - Eliza

"I'm not sure I've ever dreaded a barbeque before." Eliza said as she clambered out of the taxi, squinting against the sharp September sun, eyes falling on the hotel before them. It had been a surprisingly warm month, and yet the heat didn't relax her in the slightest. She pulled her jacket further around herself nervously.

"You'll be fine. Think of the free food." Ben said from behind her, shutting the cab door after him and waving the taxi off. "She's only your sister."

She shot him an unamused look, but he only grinned, nodding towards the building and sliding his hands into his pockets.

"Looks posh." He said, and she snorted.

"Yeah. Don't ask me why, ever since she met her boyfriend she's been throwing events like this. Not sure what's wrong with her garden."

The hotel her sister had opted to host her birthday barbeque at was insane. They'd rented out the grounds and lower floor for the event, and Eliza still wasn't entirely sure how they'd managed to afford it. It looked like somewhere a minor royal would have their wedding. Were they underdressed? She was half expecting to go in and see a lawn full of grand national style fascinators.

Ben held out his arm to her, grinning cheekily like nothing was wrong.

"Care to accompany me?"

"It would be my displeasure." She said, and took his arm, steeling herself as they walked together through the gates of the hotel and down the gravel drive.

The party was immediately visible on the main lawn, in colourful dresses and summer suits, the smell of grilled meat wafting over the lawn, wealth on full display. There were a few people she thought she recognised, but not many, not enough that she could relax.

Most disarmingly of all, a hotel stagger came up to them and took their jackets, giving them cloakroom codes to pick them up that evening.

"Please stick with me, I don't know if I can handle talking to this many of Aoif's friends." She said quietly to Ben as they approached, and he laughed.

"You'll be fine."

"Ben." She pressed, looking up at him pleadingly. He rolled his eyes.

"Sure. I'll stick with you." He said, and then raised a hand in greeting across the garden, Eliza following his gaze to see her sister stood with some friends, waving back. Ben cleared his throat. "What do I say if they ask what you do for work?" He asked her, quieter now. She swallowed.

"You tell them I bartend."

"Will do." He gave her arm a squeeze as they approached Aoife, who was wearing a bright pink floral garden dress and heels to match, her lipstick seemingly colour matched to the whole thing. She was, at least, smiling warmly at the pair, opening her arms to them.

"Hi! Glad you could make it!"

"Happy birthday Aoife, you look beautiful." Eliza smiled as best she could, pulling her sister into a tight embrace. Aoife patted her back and laughed quietly.

"Oh stop it. I'm all bloated." She said, extracting herself from the hug and looking down at her not-at-all-bloated, pilates thin body. Eliza laughed as earnestly as she could, feeling her tension already skyrocket.

"You do not," She said, and Aoife batted a hand.

"Just putting weight on then."

Eliza bit her cheek to stop herself saying anything, wanting Ben to put his arm around her, give her something to ground herself. He didn't, not seeming to register why the conversation might be making her tense, instead saying something to Aoife about work.