Chapter One

Emilia pov

"Emilia, you are back?"

"Hello, Miss Mary. We had a short lecture today; that's why I came in early," I replied.

Miss Mary, our Asian neighbor, smiled warmly. She lives with her husband and an 11-year-old son, Ricky. Despite being born and raised here, she is the only neighbor I am familiar with. Ricky is such a cutie pie; Miss Mary asked me a week ago to tutor him.

"Then I will send Ricky in an hour, what do you think?"

"It's okay, Miss Mary. You can send him whenever he is ready. Don't rush him."

"Ohh, dear, don't spoil him too much; he needs to study hard. Ha"

I just smiled at her, shaking my head in agreement, and went into our apartment.

As soon as I got to our apartment, I rushed to my room, changed out of my jeans, and into my comfy pants and a red dress. Oh gosh, how much I hate jeans. I wear them because they hide my curves, and dresses just show so much of my shape. I like that dresses make me look beautiful, but they also attract unwanted attention. I am just not good at standing out.

It's better to look average. It helps you avoid distractions and focus on your goal, which is to study hard and make your parents proud. They both worked so hard to raise me and now I am a law student at NyU.

I did my skincare routine, and now I feel very light. "So good," and climbed onto my bed. My cute little purple bed. I like the color purple; it makes me feel relaxed.

Also, I am studying law, but I have other hobbies that I enjoy so much, like playing musical instruments. For now, I know how to play the guitar and the piano, and I also paint. It helps me express my thoughts that I cannot express with words. In my free time, I read my favorite novels. I like reading romance novels; they make my imagination go wild about my future life with Mr. Lover. I have imagined him for so many years now; he just feels so real. His smile and full teeth, his fluffy black hair when I roam my hands through them, his broad shoulders and strong chest whenever he hugs me, the way his eyes shut when he smiles at me, and his full lips whenever he comes nearer to ki...

"Hi, Emmy."

"Gosh, oh, hi Ricky, you scared me so much."

"Sorry, did I interrupt something?" he asks me, flushing his adorably big eyes, which makes me smile at his expression. "No, you didn't. Even if you did, you are always welcome to interrupt me whenever you want, ok?" I said, pinching his cheeks.

He just giggles shyly, going to our usual place of study.

"OK, so what do you want me to teach you today?"

"Science," he replied, opening the chapter.

"We have been studying math till now, but science is different, so we are gonna change our approach. What do you think?"

"OK."

"Math needs listening and practicing, but science needs understanding and a lot of reading. It wouldn't matter if I explained it to you if you don't get it the way I explain it. So what you should do is read the lesson and then explain it to me. This way you will develop a better understanding and memory."

"But I did not understand what you mean." I chuckled a bit at his cuteness. "It's ok. First, you read this passage and then tell me what you understand. Ok?"

"Ok," he nodded his head and started reading, and I just sat there looking at him, smiling.

He reminds me so much of my childhood. I was overly confident and a social butterfly. Time changes you a lot.

When we finished our study session, I went to the kitchen to make dinner. Mom and Dad work, so the responsibility of the house is on me.

My Mom, Jenelia Sanderson, and my Dad, Mark Sanderson, are the best parents in the world. They made me believe in true love. Their love story is the best one I have ever read or heard.

My mom was a rich girl who was born into a wealthy family, and my dad was a mere sculptor in their mansion. They fell in love. But when my grandfather knew about their love, he was furious. He did not expect his daughter to fall in love with an employee in their house; he wanted her to marry his friend's son. When she refused to do so, he disowned her, but she still chose to marry my dad and left her whole family for her love.

It's the best story because it's real and not a mere story. It's inspiring, and it gives me hope that one day I will meet my true love and live with him like them. Call me delusional if you want, but I am happy in my delusion.

After I made our dinner, I went back to my room and started reading my novel from where I left it.

Today is a very relaxed day for me. If it were any other day, I would have been in the library studying for some assignments, but today I am lucky; we had a short lecture and no assignments.

I was so deep into the story I was reading, but then I heard a knock on my door. When I lifted my head from the book and looked up, I saw my mom standing with hot chocolate milk in her hand. "Hey, Mom, you came early today."

She came inside, mad, and then put the milk on the table beside my bed.

"Isn't your exam coming? Aren't you supposed to study? But you're here wasting time reading a story for children," she stood there glaring at me.

"Mom, this is not a story for children; it's a novel. I was just tired. Can't I take a break from studying? You know I work hard, and I get good grades."

Her expression softened a little. Then she came and sat beside me on the bed, folding her hands on her lap like those rich, proper ladies. "You know good is not enough for you, baby. You live in a middle-class household. You need to work harder than anybody and get higher results than anyone who will compete with you with their money."

"I do study hard, Mom. I just don't know when you will understand that my hobbies are something that makes me happy. Sometimes I feel like you have a problem with everything that makes me happy."

"Emilia!! This is the last time I want us to talk about it. No storybooks, no music, and no painting until after the exams. Do you understand!?"

"Fine, and also no studies until the exam. How does that sound like?"

She snatched my book from me angrily. "This is not a way to talk to your mother!"

I sat with crossed hands, angry, staring at the wall.

"So this is how it is, huh? We will see how this goes on for you." Then she walked out of my room.

Agh, it's always like this. She wants it her way or the highway. What the heck!

Agh such a beautiful day ruined

                            ~~~°~~~

New story I hope you guys like it