No Freedom Til' We're Equal... (An essay on Gay Rights)

Gay Rights

            When I say “gay rights” what exactly comes to your mind? Many people would think of the government passing bills, people arguing their opinions, and people bullying others for who they are and what they think. In modern day, the discussion of gay rights has grown to be a very popular topic of argument. There are many methods in which people are sharing their opinions on this topic. Books have been written, movies have been produced, and songs have been sung, that help exemplify certain people’s takes on this taboo subject. Not only is the government engaging in this discussion, but there are also celebrities who are putting their opinions out there, and there are also civilians that are arguing their thoughts.

            Many people are not used to seeing two men together or seeing two women together. Many believe that they do not believe that it is “right” for homosexuals to get married; however what exactly is “right?” Just because you are not used to seeing something, does not mean that it’s wrong, that it’s unjust, or that it’s bad. How do you define love? Many people argue that their love is not real, however what exactly is love? Love is defined as “An intense feeling of deep affection” now, just because it is two men, does not mean they feel the exact way for each other as a man and a woman do, or even as a woman and a woman do.

            Catholics define love as “a self-sacrificing willed concerned for and giving to another, even if attraction is diminished or absent, and even if little or nothing is received in return, all with divine motivation.” However, many Catholics believe that the love between two homosexuals is not a real love and is immoral. How exactly does their definition of love suggest this? Many Catholics paraphrase Leviticus 20:13 and say that it is a sin for two men to lay down with each other and they shall be put to death for such a crime. Yet, they try persuading everyone to join their religion in saying “God loves everyone” however; he states that he wants people killed for solely being attracted to the same sex. Also, many Catholics say God makes everyone in his image and likeness, so then if he makes everyone in his image and likeness, why does he not like when someone (whom they claim he made in his image and likeness) is attracted to their same sex? You see, there are many contradictions in the arguments that are upheld by Catholics against gay supporters.

            Gay supporters are not only gay people. There are people who support gay rights that are men, women, straight, gay, bisexual, young, old, etc. These people are not only everyday Americans, but they also include big movie stars, music stars, and even congressmen. People like Macklemore (rapper), Jenni “Jwoww” Farley (TV [Reality] Personality), President Barack Obama, and many other celebrities. These celebrities use their social status to put out their opinion on the topic; for instance, President Obama is really pushing to have states pass same-sex marriage, Macklemore recently released a song called “Same Love” which states his support for gay rights, and Jenni was in a photo shoot in the NOH8 campaign that fights for gay rights.

            Macklemore’s “Same Love” states his opinion various times; here are a few quotes from his song: “The right wing conservatives think it's a decision, and you can be cured with some treatment and religion; Man-made rewiring of a predisposition, playing God, aw nah here we go; America the brave still fears what we don't know, and God loves all his children, is somehow forgotten, but we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago”, “Gay is synonymous with the lesser. It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion, gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment. The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins, its human rights for everybody, there is no difference! Live on and be yourself”, and finally “When kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart, a world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are, and a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all, but it's a damn good place to start. No law is gonna change us, we have to change us. Whatever God you believe in, we come from the same one. Strip away the fear, underneath it's all the same love; About time that we raised up” He plainly states that he is supporting of Gay Rights, however, he, himself is not gay. His uncle is gay, and he supports him completely.

            ** Side-note: There are many organizations that help to support gays and gay rights, for example; The Trevor Project, It Gets Better Foundation, NOH8, and many, many others are always trying to help with awareness, and support.