New beginning

9 years ago:

I had always loved his dark hair, dark eyes, his glowing smile, and the way he treated me. It always made me feel so special when he would ask, "Do you want an apple?" We would always end up in his grandfather's kitchen, tossing them back and forth like we were in our own world.
Like nothing else mattered. These were the days I can cherish forever. The days we would hide in his room together, away from everyone else and while I'm sure it got on his grandfathers nerves I think more than anything it made him happy to see how happy we were together. I guess I should explain.
             Jonah was his name. I always called him my best friend when we were little. Almost everyday we would ride our bikes to spend as much time together as possible. Sometimes even running from my brother. That was until I was nine, when we moved away. I always thought I would never see him again, which made me sad because of how happy he made me. Until a few years later... It was 2019 when we ran into each other. He didn't recognize me at first, but once he did it was like time never passed. We talked and talked, but when he said that he was depressed my family laughed it off but I saw in his eyes that he meant it. I should've listened. I still, to this day that I am writing this, regret everything. I should've talked to him. I should've helped.

Present day:

I'm Katie and it's now 2023. I haven't forgotten about him or the fact that he was my first crush but I made myself believe that I would never see him again, I didn't think about him often but I cherished my childhood with him. I'm now a sophomore in high school and one night it was the first football game of the season, we called it the shrine game and it was in another town. I was just hanging out with my friends when my guy best friend Cole says hi to someone that's in my PE class, and his name was Jonah. At first I thought that there's no way it's the same person but then I looked closer at his face and it was him. He looked completely different, I could hardly recognize him. I spent the whole night thinking about that and then the more I thought about him the more I liked him and I just told myself it was a little hallway crush because we didn't talk. But then one day I told my friend I like him after I had been thinking about him for a month and she knew the backstory and said it was cute. And I knew he did cross country with my friends so I went with my friend to all their meets no matter how far just to be near him. He never really talked to me though, he would just constantly stare at me. Then one night everything changed.