II

What a weird sky, he thought. He gazed at the orange-looking sky from the window. It seemed so strange. Tomorrow, something must happen.

But what is it? The end of the world? Oh, it cannot be. He has a fragile little boy that he has to look after. Their fate couldn't end tonight, right?

A painful cough can be heard from the living room. Kabukimono purposefully placed the young child there so he would be comforted by having the hearh nearby. Kabukimono rushed to the young child, whom he called Tori, because it reminded him of a little bird; a hope for the future. Kabukimono placed his head down; he litsened to the beat of the heart; it's fine; he let out a sigh of relief. And then Kabukimono put his palm against Tori's forehead, and how surprised he was to find that the young child must have caught a fever! Tori looked at his beloved caregiver with a weak stare.

"Kabukimono-san. I feel cold."

Kabukimono nods frantically. He told little Tori that he ough to get lavender melon in order to make a nice and warm Konda cuisine for the delicate child. Kabukimono burst out of their house in search of lavender melon. He can't help but have all these negative thoughts swarming in his head. But once he found the thing that he needed, he felt a bit relieved. Once again, he stared at the weird-looking orange sky. The sky at night isn't supposed to look like this. Kabukimono found it disagreeable.

"Tori! I'm home!"

Kabukimono opened the door with merry; in his left arm, lavender melons were full in the basin he brought. His shoulder slumped. There lied the fledgling, barely out of the nest boy that he took care of. Tori's physical body lied coldly on the floor while his soul had left its mortal body. Consumed by rage, he set the house, where he had created warm memories with Tori, on fire. Kabukimono had discarded Tori's body somewhere. He looked at the place where Tori had succumbed at life.

"How dare you die like this and break your promise to me."

He tried to hold back his lament, but he couldn't hold for one or two.

As the dancing fire engulfed the poor house; heavy snow had fallen and set everything white.