Which Path To Select?

After reviewing everything on the monitor screen once again, Mr. Miller released a deep sigh of disappointment and looked at the floor. He had first seen those clips on his cell phone before coming to the hotel. Evelyn's partner, who operated the drones, had already sent the video clips to his phone. Evelyn never told her uncle about her trusted associates for their safety.

"I can't believe my best friend could stab me in the back," he stated in a low, sarcastic tone filled with several emotions: pain from the betrayal and hatred for himself for believing someone blindly.

After hearing his statement, Ron and DK exchanged sympathetic glances, and Evelyn placed her left hand on her uncle's right shoulder to silently comfort him.

"I remember when we were young; I was timid, and because of that, other students used to bully me by snatching my school stuff or tiffin box." he let out a bitter chuckle after recalling some memories and lifted his head to meet his juniors' eyes.

After licking his lips slowly, he spoke with a faint, melancholic demeanor: "But he was brave and saved me from those bullies several times. Then we became best friends, and on my birthday, he promised he would stay with me like a shadow so that no one would dare to touch a single hair on my head. However, I never imagined those promises would turn into a dark shadow instead of a bright one."

Then he turned his head to the right to look at his niece and said to her in a soft, grateful voice, "Thank you, Eve. Only because of your doubt was I able to get out of my delusion about my best friend. Otherwise, I'm afraid that my blind trust in him would have led to witnessing several innocent deaths from overdoses of drugs in the name of maintaining youth. Besides that, we would never have succeeded in revealing the names of the Flame Group's members."

Evelyn clasped her uncle's hands, her lips trembling and eyes full of tears, and said with a heartbroken expression, "Uncle, how can I sit quietly when my father was forced to take his own life because of the conspiracy of this group, whose members are monsters hiding behind human flesh?"

"I know, dear, but I must say, your sixth sense worked wonders. It has shown that I am growing old, and consequently, I should resign from my position and pass it on to you as a gift. Innocent people need an officer like you, capable of delivering justice without being swayed by close relationships, unlike an old, delusional officer," Mr. Miller stated dramatically when he saw tears in his niece's eyes. As a result, Evelyn smiled broadly with glossy eyes.

"Uncle, I don't want anything as a reward. Just save me from my mom. If she finds out about this, she will kill me with her lectures," Evelyn replied, wiping her tears and giving her uncle a side hug.

Meanwhile, DK leaned toward his buddy's right ear and whispered in confusion, his face reflecting his bewilderment, "Ron, what are they doing? Why are they making unwanted jokes during this serious conversation?"

"I think he tried to divert Ms. Taylor's attention from this case, but I don't know why," Ron replied in a low voice, his eyes fixed on them. DK nodded in response and frowned, observing their silly activities.

"Oh dear, you want to send a poor old man into a dangerous tigress's cave? She'll beat me with a frying pan or broomstick if she finds out I gave you permission to complete this risky mission instead of going to college. And if she ever knew you've been taking special karate classes since childhood and that I covered for you, she wouldn't hesitate to shave my head as punishment. Please, show some mercy on this old man and save me from your mother's scolding," Mr. Miller spoke in a dramatic way, causing an evil smirk to appear on the left corner of Ron's lips.

"Sorry to interrupt, Sir, but I'm curious—how could she shave your head when it shines like a diamond? Maybe suggest she shave your eyebrows instead; everyone should have a choice, right?" Ron suggested with an innocent look, causing everyone to burst into laughter except their senior.