Preface

Nang sumali ako bilang isang Wattpad writer noong 2014, yung first story ko ay EXO fan fiction na umabot ng mahigit 150k reads. Although I stumbled upon something I was not only good at but genuinely enjoyed since I was 10, it was in that moment that my love for writing solidified. Plinano ko pang gawing 10-book series ito, following the idol journey of EXO dahil sila ang fave K-pop boy group ko noon. Sila pa rin naman hanggang ngayon pero occasional listener na lang ako.

But my plans for the extensive series were shelved as I transitioned into college, and life continuously threw unexpected challenges my way, kaya ilang taon din akong tumigil sa pagsusulat. Though I tried to revise the story to put my improved writing skills to the test at plano ko talagang bumalik during lockdown, nahirapan akong maging consistent sa pag-update. Eventually, I made the bittersweet decision to bid farewell to the untold chapters of the series that had once held such promise.

Except, maybe there's also good in goodbye. Blue Skies and Purple Lies draws a huge inspiration from the original material and the supposed later books, transforming it into an entirely fresh narrative. With the vibrant K-pop scene serve as the backdrop for the world of this new series. Kumbaga second generation dahil yung batang main character sa original ay young adult na, following in the footsteps of her idols.

Siguro maituturing na fan fiction itong bagong series dahil ang timeline ay parallel sa career ng NCT at AESPA, with my original character just sits in the middle and I kinda wanna explore the element of what if she's also under the same company as them. Ang tamang term na dapat atang gamitin ay inspired by o based on, since the events can occur in real life and I did alter their names slightly to avoid potential complications for my future endeavors.

I find it amusing and somewhat ironic that I began my writing journey as a fan fiction writer, and here I am, still embracing that role as I attempt a comeback. It's not a bad thing — it feels like paying homage to my younger self, who was brave enough to share her creativity. Being a fan fiction writer isn't just a phase; it's a testament to the authenticity and boldness that marked the beginning of my creative journey, a journey I now cherish and seek to revive in my ongoing pursuit of artistic expression.

Love,

Poplar Yaine