chapter one

"This is it!" Suga exclaims giddily as he runs up his front porch steps. He spins around, his arms wide as his friend laughs at him on facetime.

"Would you stop spinning and get inside? I want to see Sugawara Koushi's new house."

"Oh, Tooru." He says, clicking his tongue as he turns to his front door to insert the key. "You'd be spinning around the porch with me too if you weren't stuck at work." He turns the key and opens the door, smiling brightly as he turns the camera around for Oikawa to see.

"No, I would not be and do you want to know why?" Suga hummed a response, but Oikawa was already continuing. "Because someone decided not to facetime me when they did the house tour because they wanted to surprise me."

"That's because you immediately shot down the other houses I looked at over minor details–"

"Koushi, that kitchen tile was ugly and you know it." Suga laughed and rolled his eyes, pointing the camera at the coat and shoe rack by the front door before walking down the short hallway and turning into the living room.

"Okay, it's not an ugly choice, so you don't need to buy paint right away." He says, humming thoughtfully.

"I'm so glad to have your approval for the color of my walls." Suga says sarcastically before walking towards the kitchen.

"Oh my god! Show me the island counter now!" Oikawa was incredibly close to the phone as Suga showed him the granite countertops. He took a few screenshots for later use and turned to show him the kitchen sink.

"You have the best kitchen for entertaining guests, hello? And that sink! God, I feel so old geeking out over a damn sink. Show me the other rooms, Suga-chan!"

"Yes, sir!" He chuckled, moving to show him the rest of the new house. Suga listened to his "ooh"'s and "ahh"'s and his apprehensive noise upon seeing the bathroom sink's faucet. The call ended with a promise to come over the next day to help Suga unpack.

Sitting down in his living room on his couch, Suga let out a content sigh. He had finally bought his first house. Sure, the rest of the house was relatively average in size, but the kitchen itself is what sold Suga. He imagined all of the dinner parties and wine nights that he could host. He could gather a group of friends around his kitchen table and play board and card games until late hours in the night.

Suga felt another rush of excitement coarse through him as he heard the moving truck pull up to the house. He stood up from his couch and ran outside to greet and help them carry in the remainder of his boxes. He was glad that the house already came partially furnished as he only had a few pieces of furniture from his last apartment. He watched the two movers easily lift his glass coffee table and he nodded to himself, knowing how Tooru would have loved to sit on the porch to watch these guys move everything into the house.

Once everything was carried in and set in their designated rooms, Suga shut and locked his door. He turned around and took in the sight of all of the boxes and bounced happily in his entryway.

***

Sugawara woke up the following morning to six loud knocks on his front door. He turned over and checked the time on his phone.

Six thirty-eight in the morning.

He knew it definitely wasn't Tooru because he wasn't supposed to be over until Suga got back from work to help him unpack.

He sighed and rolled out of bed, sliding on his white house slippers before dragging his feet to the front door.

Another six knocks. Whoever was on the other side sounded really insistent that they speak with Suga regardless of whether the sun just rose or not.